Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'08 Legacy GT - Fuel fitting separation method

I guess there is a special Subaru tool for separating the fuel line fittings on the top left hand side of the engine? These are the fittings with the yellow plastic sleeves inside. I did a search and did not learn much. There has to be trick? Or is there a tool I can borrow from Auto Zone or something. Need to get this engine out tonight! Please help.

Thanks!

Its a quick connect fitting. If it has a sleeve, usually you just push the sleeve into the fitting and it will pop loose. I usually use a wrench that just fits around the line to push the fitting with.

It may require some PB or other penetrating oil. And try pushing the fitting together and twisting slightly before pushing the sleeve in.

Thanks, as always. Tax, The motor is out and the new turbo fitted. Still have not figured out the QD fuel fittings but just separated the line at the regular hose fittings which are just upstream/downstream of the fancy fittings.

Edited by Mikevan10

Just thought I'd pass on how we got these fittings off.  My kid picked up this tip:

Cut a tie wrap (aka zip tie) in half (so you have square ends to work with).  There are two tabs inside of the yellow plastic sleeve in the fittings located 180 degrees apart from one another.  Examine carefully and locate these two tabs.  Then insert the square ends of the tie wrap so that you push the tabs away from the metal pipe.  Pull fitting off of pipe.  Pretty simple.