Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Used car buying check list

I never have a mechanic check a used car although I'm not totally against it.  It's just the the time to get the car to the mechanic and back, even assuming that the mechanic can fit you in at a convenient time, is a hassle.  Plus, not many mechanics are familiar with the problems of a subaru.  So the HG could be leaking and they wouldn't know to look closely for it.

Consumer reports only goes back 8 years[?] and it mostly misses major problems that don't develop until 4+ years.  And if their website would brake down the car reported problems to specific areas [such as head gaskets], then CR would be 100% more valuable.

I think that the first thing you should do is focus on one model of one mgf and a few years of production.  Exm: Corolla 2004-2008. Google for problems and the model, year, etc.  Read some of the blogs like this one.  All mgf.s have had major engine and other problems, such as the oil usage of 2013+ outback w/FB engine.  It's smart to be aware of these problems.  And buy from a private party to save money as well as being able asking them specific questions.  For example, I wouldn't buy a used 2013 outback from a dealer but I would from a private party if they assured me that it did use excessive oil.

My personal experience:  I have bought 5 used car, each over 10 years old.  Three have been home runs. Two, I shouldn't have bought if [1] I had thought about it some more and [2] followed my own advice above. It's important to ask the private seller questions and to take into consideration their answers.  However, sometimes the deal is so good that you have to buy it even if the sellers answers are not reassuring. 

Edited by mikec03

I like the last tip, "Don't negotiate when tired or hungry"

Or in any way impaired, coming off too much to drink the night before;  be aware of manipulation, charm, or intimidation methods whether you are the buyer or seller.

It doesn't hurt to do a background search on the seller to see if any red flags pop up or indications of their not being honest.  Ebay requires car history reports with its VIN-based listings, I guess that's why they charge $50 just to list a vehicle....Asking if  the seller used a head gasket seal solution would probably not turn up an honest reply, as I have heard people on car sites say they used Blue Devil and then unloaded the vehicle.

If you want the best deal you can get, you don't buy the first time you look at it.  Yes this means you might miss out, but when you come back (in a day or two) most sellers (including dealers) are more willing to negotiate.  And if they aren't just walk away, tends to get them to change their view.

And if it's a Subaru, here's the best checklist you can use:

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/shopping/cpo/images/subaru-inspection.pdf

• Like 1