Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1997 Outback obtained. Cyl 1 and 3 misfire

Hey all so today I agreed on 800 dollars for my firs Subaru finally. Moved to Colorado and need it to replace my ford as winter is coming :)

Anyhow the body has 200k and the motor that is in the car now was a rebuilt ej25. The warranty is technically still good until February! I will have AAA move the car to my place in a couple days so I can really tear into it. I wasn't able to pull the code as my bluetooth OBDII adapter left town. But she said the code was 1 and 3 misfire. 

It starts but it shakes and misfires like 1 and 3 are literally not firing. That's how imbalanced it looks when you view the motor rocking. I seen many suspects like the knock sensor and so on. I am starting a list from simple to difficult on what to check so I can cover all my grounds (spark, fuel etc). So I was wondering if you can all help guide me with a list to start with and I can get on my way and hope that it's a simple fix. I'll have a video when it is hear but for now I will post pictures of its cleanliness :)

5uvND0d.jpg

3MaWxGT.jpg

xKBMFD2.jpg

Oh and it's a stick :)

Possibly jumped timing belt. That also means possibly bent valves on that engine.

Well I can only hope not. Checking wires and coils first. The engine is still under warranty until feburary it will be a bitch to deal with the company but let's just hope not...

hope it's just ignition

Edited by Bear Pants

Okay - so you were told cylinder 1 and 3 misfire and there are codes. 

Advance Auto, Autozone and other national chains read the codes for free so you can swing by one of those places if yours doesn't work to check.

"customer diagnosis" is frequently inaccurate.

If it is 1 & 3 I think I would be inspecting timing belt alignment, 1 & 3 are the passengers side cylinders.

Thanks I just can't really drive the car down the mountain to the store to get the code red unfortunately so I will have to figure out how to pull codes. Stupid bluetooth adapters. I will check for oil in coolant but if these head gaskets are gone already I will call the shop who sent the motor because then they played games.

I will check timing first and foremost. Is it a bitch to get under the cover?

Should only be 3 or 4 screws around the end of the covers. You can compare marks on left and right sides to determine if either camshaft on the 1-3 side has jumped.

Great thank you. The car is in my driveway now. So happy with how clean it is (fresh driveshaft) and the fact it's a stick as it ought to be. After work tomorrow I bust out the tools.

Good chance its a burned exhaust valve. Those engines don't get regular valve adjustments because its a pain to do. The seats on the exhaust valves wear and eventually a valve hangs open and burns.

Leakdown test will quickly confirm.

Or compression test and check lash clearance if the compression is low.

Good chance its a burned exhaust valve. Those engines don't get regular valve adjustments because its a pain to do. The seats on the exhaust valves wear and eventually a valve hangs open and burns.

Leakdown test will quickly confirm.

Or compression test and check lash clearance if the compression is low.

Yeah I was figuring so which sucks. It also sucks how much clearance I have to work with a compression checker. Can I pick up any spark plug socket or? I will probably have to pull the engine and call the place on warranty and make sure they follow through. Don't feel like taking anyone to court.

The motor probably needs to be pulled. Ran some seafoam and it smoked pretty good and the motor just isn't generally happy. 1 cylinder doesn't fire 3 seems to misfire. the motor with try to compensate and seems to "idle down" when it's warm. If I give it a little bit of throttle I seem to hear some not so happy things. I am going to comp check them all tomorrow for whatever reason as this point but If I can just get that cylinder to fire the car will probably be back to normal.

If I have to fight a new motor out of this company I will just ask and hope they can give me a 2.2 SOHC...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi curious about the misfire code.My legacy outback wagon 2.2 code says cyl. 3 misfired but runs very good no rough idle or anything.BUT...after trips[distance really does not matter] get ready to g oand car is a bear to restart[not always but 80 % of time].After repeated tries it starts and runs ok.150000 miles approx. timing belt replaced about 3000 -6000 miles ago at dealer.