Ultimate Subaru Message Board

squealing noise when clutch is engaged

Depends on who is doing the job. Most garages charge by the book which can run into the thousands depending on hourly rate. If you look around and find a small independent work shop that does that kind of work for a fixed amount you can get them down into the Hundreds of dollars  for labor and parts.  Try to find a mom and pop garage that knows Subaru's.

• Like 1

For a clutch replacement, you're going to be anywhere between $500 and $1200 depending on what quality of parts are used, what shop is charging and anything else that might be added on. Any car over 150k miles, I will also replace the clutch fork. I will also replace both the exhaust manifold gaskets since it has to be removed to get the transmission out.

• Like 1

Purely out of curiousity here, but why do you replace the clutch fork, Caboobaroo? I just did a clutch job on my 170k OBW last summer and the clutch fork looked fine. Not saying that I know better, I'm still learning- which is why I'm curious why you choose to replace it.

I tend to see the fork crack right at the pivot point, usually between 150-200k. Granted I get the 200k+ cars with a broken fork too but as often as I see them break on cars under 200k, you tend to replace them.

If you can do a clutch quickly yourself, no need to replace it if it's not broken. A customer, it'll cost an extra $40 to do it when the clutch is being done or $600 to do it later when it fails. They fail quicker when it's not lubed properly from a previous clutch replacement if it was lubed at all.