Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Idles great, bogs down under load, wont restart when warm

92 Loyale 1.8 5 speed

Subie runs and starts idles great. You put it into 1st gear and give it gas and she bogs down like she's starved.  Warms up and drives and then won't restart if warm.  Subie will turn over, catch and then die.  Wait 10 minuts and she starts up.  Replaced plugs wires crankshaft sensor cap rotor fuel pump temp sensor ignition coil.  been advised it was a clogged catalytic,  but checked out.  Need help fixing my wagon.

SPFI or turbo? Time to check your fuel pressure, just becuse the pump is new doesnt mean theres not a restriction (like a bad filter) or a failed regulator. If that checks out youll need to visually inspect injector flow (SPFI). This requires unhooking the MAF and removing the boot. This would also be a good time to check the boot for damage and proper fit of all connections. There can be no leaks between the throttle body and the MAF.

Next, check and clean your MAF (mass air flow sensor), check your TPS (throttle position sensor). Im assuming you have a service manual?

Most of my previous thread still applies. Trust me. Fuel pressure tps and injector/boot condition should be checked.

Diagnosing these sorts of drivability problems can be very frustrating and often are caused by something really simple (like a voltage/ground issue) . Im not saying you dont have a weak cyl or a timing belt that has slipped, but Im saying the above posted advice should be considered.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/155251-ea82-rough-accerlation/

If you have time give this long thread a read through.

• Like 1

Please update us on whats been done so far. Did you look at anything I suggested above? If you have ruled out a faulty cts (you said it was new) you should check the injector for leakage while the car is not running. Hard starting when hot is often due to a flooding condition. Does opening the throttle help it start when its being stubborn?

Cleaned crankshaft sensor cd and subie runs great. No bogging in first gear. Checked fuel pressure 22 at idle recommend 20-25. Except it does fall to 10 when u turn off the subie. Checked grounds.looked at evap and gas cap. Does not help on restart with flooring gas pedal but restarts easily after 5 minutes. Looked at fuel injector and it looks like it is spraying but can't tell if it is leaking. Considering running and driving subie because I think it sat for a while. Previous owner did lots of work new seals gaskets etc. still working on it. Thanks for the help