Ultimate Subaru Message Board

looking for the perfect tires

several months back my fiance managed to locate my dream car to replace my beloved 88 gl that sadly passed on to car heaven and I need to get new tires..I would love to be able to keep the original rims and am hoping I can put larger, off-road tires on it. my car was already lifted when I bought it which is great but winter's coming and my poor car looks a little silly lifted with just the old tires on it..in many of the pictures I've seen online it looks as though people have done that but my friends doubt that I can find the right tires without having to get new rims as well...any thoughts?

Edited by Colin1215

Your friends are right! You will need 14" rims. Then it opens a whole new world for you. You can drill hubs, drill rims or find 14" Peugeot rims. I have Peugeot 14" steel rims off an older turbo diesel. Both Goodyear and B F Goodrich make a 195/75-14 all terrain tire. They maybe others but currently I think that is it. I had a set of Cooper 195/75/14 all terrains years back, had a tread pattern similar to the Goodyear Wranglers. They maybe bigger options in 14" but I think you are asking a lot from a old little four cylinder to turn much bigger tires.

Your friends are right! You will need 14" rims. Then it opens a whole new world for you. You can drill hubs, drill rims or find 14" Peugeot rims. I have Peugeot 14" steel rims off an older turbo diesel. Both Goodyear and B F Goodrich make a 195/75-14 all terrain tire. They maybe others but currently I think that is it. I had a set of Cooper 195/75/14 all terrains years back, had a tread pattern similar to the Goodyear Wranglers. They maybe bigger options in 14" but I think you are asking a lot from a old little four cylinder to turn much bigger tires.

Depends on how your rig is setup. My lifted hatch has 235/75/15's with a ej22 and is faster than stock. Eventually i'm going to solid axles on a brat or a hatch then run some 33's or 35's.