Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I really HATE having to ask a question that the answer to should be found all over the place; I get the feeling that I really missed something obvious, but...

We recently bought a used 2000 Forester. I am entering it's info in at an auto parts website. The site is asking if the engine is an EJ251 or EJ252.

I have been to a multitude of website providing a mess (an alternate word for "multitude") of data, but not one of the idiot things has told me where I can find the identifier nor what the identifier would be! Yes, there is mention that the 252 (I think) was not sold in the US and one uses a MAF vs the other with a MAP and so on and so forth, and IF we got this thing new I would have confidence that yes, the entire vehicle was from the US, but as I am not certain and I have been burnt making presumptions like this in the past (Like my 1999 Nissan Quest that was built with parts from a 2000), can anyone tell me hoe I can be certain of my engine type???

Thanks guys, and nice to be a part of your community - I am certain I will be back asking for repair help!!!

-Bruce

P.S.: If there is no easy way by examining the engine, then taking a bit of a chance, the VIN is: 4S3BH6656Y7605943

there should be an ID tag on the driver side strut tower under the hood with the engine ID number.

i think the difference between the 251 and the 252 is the manual trans.

the manual trans version has a timing belt guide at the crank sprocket.

sorry i don't know which is which.

check out http://opposedforces.com/parts  for more info.