Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1995 Legacy 2.2 Heating/Cooling issue.

I have changed out the timing belt along with idler pulley, tensioner and the water pump. The car wants to overheat when I drive it. Nothing in the oil. No white smoke. I lifted the front of the car and did the squeeze and fill method to get air out of the system. I put the radiator cap on because it started to overflow and then when I checked it with it off the top and bottom hose was caved in. I took of the radiator cap and they went back to normal. Any ideas? I am going to take out the new thermostat and try the boil test.

There's still air in the system.

There should be a bleed screw on the top corner of the radiator opposite the cap. Remove that and slowly add coolant until it starts coming out of the opening. Then put the screw back, and top off if necessary. Fill the overflow bottle to the max/full mark.

If there's no screw, pop the upper hose loose from theradiator and pour coolant straight into the block through the hose. When its full up, put the hose back and top of the radiator.

Cap the radiator, idle the engine until the radiator fans cycle on and back off. Then turn off the engine and let it cool for about an hour.

Recheck coolant level after the engine has cooled.

Edited by Fairtax4me