Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Vac Lines?

I am trying to eliminate anything I don't need under the hood on my 82 BRAT and have come across a couple lines that I am unsure of. One line runs from a green connector between the passenger front strut tower and firewall down to the passenger side of the transmission. Another 2 lines attach to my intake manifold near the thermostat housing and run up to the same location as the a fore-mentioned green connector and they connect to two weird looking black plastic pieces that connect to wires. I would like to get rid of all this if I do not need it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have attached pictures.

post-23080-0-34720500-1446733294_thumb.jpg

post-23080-0-99119500-1446733332_thumb.jpg

post-23080-0-33524200-1446733364_thumb.jpg

I really cant make much out in those pics, since Im on my phone. Looks like some of the remnants of a feedback system. Those plastic "peices" should be vacuum switches, they were part of the feedback sensor network. They can go since your going non feeback. The other line (by the trans) is probably just plugged. I imagaine it was for an already deleted gem. All you need, on that side, is a line to the cabin, a/c idle up device (if applicable) and for the trans modulator (if its an auto).

• Like 1

I noticed my 86 Brat does not have the line by the transmission. I have attached a picture of the little black pieces and upon further inspection I found that one of the lines going from them to my manifold has a "T" to another line that goes into the firewall directly below. I have also attached an image of how the black pieces look in my 86 BRAT.

post-23080-0-87027800-1447000149_thumb.jpg

post-23080-0-52003600-1447000166_thumb.jpg

post-23080-0-22690700-1447000178_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Those are the feedback vacuum switches. I wont waist any time on what they do or how they work. If your deleting, then I can assume you dont have an emissions inspection, and you are no longer feedback controlled. Those serve no purpose. Pull them and save them in a box. The line to the firewall is for the HVAC system, as mentioned in my other post, it should be kept.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/154295-just-plug-it-taking-some-of-the-mystery-out-of-your-hitachi/

Yep I'm deleting everything. This BRAT is mainly for off road use and I want the engine bay as clean and simple as possible. What is the HVAC system? This car is a DL without A/C. Do I need any of this for my heater/defrost? I remember hearing somewhere along the way that I needed vacuum for my defrost to work properly? 

Edited by TIMBERTIGER