Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 subaru legacy won't start

The crank sensor signal needs to be checked out to make sure it is picking up the correct signal from the reluctor mounted on the shaft. That is how the ignition signal is generated by the ECU. You will need a O-scope to look at the signal. I suppose all the power and ground connections to the ECU should be checked out also if that hasn't been done already. If the compression of the cylinders is okay then the engine itself should be good.  

I'm just lost with what to do, replaced the crankshaft sensor, still nothing, just cranks and cranks and once inawhile won't even crank, doesn't do anything..... I am literally tempted to haul it to the junk yard because it is just sitting in my driveway, everything I do doesn't help.....

As far as I can tell you still haven't verified DC power is getting to the ignition system. You can replace parts all you want but if power isn't getting to things you have nothing. Whenever you have an ignition problem the first thing to check is to make sure power is getting to it. If you do have power and have an igniter in the system then I suggest you replace it as the next step. They are prone to failures.

A low battery won't cause the ignition to not work. If the battery has enough power stored in it to allow the starter to work then there is plenty of power to run the ignition system. By following proper diagnostic procedures you will find out what is causing the issue.