Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Happy Birthday to me and the Outback

This year for(and on) my birthday I gave my 05 Outback an emergency crank pulley replacement! Hooray! The garage wasn't able to take the car in for almost a week due to the winter tire rush being in full swing so I bit the bullet and swapped it out myself. Not as bad a job as I had thought. I did a bit of video during the process in case anyone's curious about the truly ghetto mechanic method:

Happy birthday!

Hope you torqued that crank bolt down tight or it will come loose! 140ft lbs.

Indeed I did. Actually I think I torqued it to about 137 ft lbs  because I slipped adjusting the torque wrench but I reckon that's right in the neighborhood of 'close enough'.

Good information/video. I didn't know that could happen on a 2.5, I had a '92 Legacy as well as my son with the 2.2 years ago and both had the trouble. Before getting it fixed we went through several belts.

I think I've heard of this happening on any vintage subaru as well as other makes and models that use the same rubber-layer pulley construction.

I didn't realize at first what was going on. my AC belt came apart and was making noises on the drive to work one morning so I pulled over and cut it off with my pocket knife. When I had time later to check everything over I saw the other belt was starting to go too. So It got a replacement belt, looked one more time and AW DANG... I noticed the crank pulley all cattywompus and discombobulated.