Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Here is my exact situation. I have a 1997 legacy outback with the 2.5 dohc. The other day it would not start. So i hooked up my reader and it said that the crank position sensor wouldn't read. So i replaced it and now there are no codes. However, when i turn the car on the fuel system has an issue. The pump does engage for a few seconds and pumps up to about 40 psi. However, it doesn't hold that pressure nor will the pump stay running when the engine is being cranked. Replaced the pump and still the same issue. Can not see any leaks anywhere. Any ideas?

What was the code number?

When it cranks does it crank fast? Sound smooth? You should be able to count 4 chugs in a row. 

Fuel pump only runs to prime the system, it will only continue running if the engine starts. If the engine doesn't start the ECU turns off the fuel pump relay. 

Probably not getting spark.

The ECU uses cam and crank sensor both to determine crank position for spark and fuel, both need to be working or you get no spark.

Recheck your wiring connection. The crank sensor wires are sheilded, (grey jacketed wiring) you have to make sure the silver sheilding wire is NOT touching the copper signal wires. The sheilding wire is grounded and if it touches the signal wire it shorts the sensor so the ECU doesn't get any signal from if.