Ultimate Subaru Message Board

pro tip: roof mounted wiring

So,figured id share how i passed the wires from my roof lights to the interior of the car, without drilling a hole in the roof...

Pop out rear door window molding, and youll see the frame where the moulding locks on to. Drill a 1/4" hole in the farthest corner under the rain gutter, and one in the other side of the channel. Pass wires thru a third hole to bring the wires inside the b pillar. Fill holes up with silicone and wire the lighting in. I tried this and it not only is discrete, but is waterproof on its own due to location, water has a hard time getting in there even without silicone.

I was searching for a minimally invasive way to wire them in without holes in the roof of my newly acquired 80k mile loyale, this seems to be the ticket. If you have other methods that are clean and dont involve putting a hole in the roof, post it here.

post-27528-0-46731500-1461014921_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

i just put some butyl rubber in a few strategic places to lock the wire in place and keep it from moving, and filed the edges of the holes smooth. pic was taken halfway thru the process.

its movement that causes chafing, so i made it a point to see these wires were secure as well as the holes packed with silicone. 

• Like 1