Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Removing A/C on '86 GL Wagon

I've decided to take out the A/C for various reasons

1. I never use it

2. I never should have replaced it with R134 without changing the dryer

3. It robs my old 166K mile engine of power

4. needs to come out anyway when and if I do a rebuild

Any advice on removing the compressor and the different belts needed would be appreciated

P.S. Carlisle RULED!!!!! Can't wait till next year!

Personally, I wouldn't bother.

If you want to disable the compressor, just unplug the two electrical connectors. One of them controls the magnetic clutch, and the other is a sensor. When the clutch isn't activated (unplugging it prevents that), the amount of power robbed is very small.

chuck the whole ac/alt assy and go find an ea81 alternator mounting bracket. then use the same outboard belt. if you can find a dual pulley alternator then you can run 2 of the same belt for reliability.

with the same alt bracket you can also do away with the power steering pump, just use the smaller belt(x2)

I just pulled my ac off on a 1987 gl wagon. Every thing came out pretty easily except the cooling radiator like screen. I had to bend a couple of the metal tabs on the screen to get it out from the motor side. I love having the compressor out of the way for getting to the spark plugs. Much more open.