Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Crankshaft Sprocket Unremoveable Due To Broken K

Crank and cam seals are known for leaking at this age. Easy to replace while you're in there. On youtube Miles Fox has a good video on replacing these on an EJ22.

I second the JB weld with a new key. Make sure that crank bolt is good and tight and you should be fine. Keep a close eye on it for a while. If it fails you wont be any worse off.

• Like 1

thank you for the replies.

regarding using jb, where exactly would you use it?

i don't work on cars, but i have experience with putting things together.

it seems that the jb can't rise above the walls of the keyway and what of the

area of missing metal?

would a little jb at the bottom of the keyway work, since it is curved and

it's my understanding that the key is solely to assist in alignment when tightening the bolt.

You should get a Haynes repair manual and watch some u-tube. Do a search here for oil leaks.

i do have a manual. i should probably refer there more often...lol

on this repair i decided not to touch the cams, though i did get seals when i bought a timing kit.

the cam seals are not leaking...yet and i don't want to get over my head though perhaps i fret

a little too much. once you get in there, it's often not as scary as it seems. i want to keep the timing

adjustment simple this time. seems i would have more to contend with also replacing cam seals. is this correct?...

the car has been sitting for a year. like to see if/how it runs. i could do it later i'm thinking.

Edited by drewpear