Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Auto Trans tailshaft housing interchange?

I have recently got a 2000 Forester 2.5 Auto trans model that is not engaging the rear wheels properly....it will spin the front wheels without the rears driving and then the rears will engage with a thump but only drive for a second or so before unlocking and the fronts spin again....it does this in any gear you put it in even 1 and 2 or D with or without the snow switch engaged.

I live at the top of a steep street that is permanently shaded and has a moss/algae growing on it and when it's wet i can't get up to my house unless i turn around and back up the hill.

I figure that it is the solenoid that controls the clutch pack on the rear driveline that is the problem....there is doesn't appear to be any torque bind when turning hard.

The transmission code is TZ1A3ZK2AA and i can't find anything is the same locally.....are the solenoids all the same for all different models of transmission....and if they are, are all the tailshaft housings the same....as looking at pictures on the net of how to replace the solenoid it would seem to be as easy to just swap the entire tail housing if they interchange.

Is there any Decoding Chart for 4EAT trans so i could identify any other trans that will interchange with it?

Cheers

Callum

Not an expert on this but thinking if the problem is a solenoid, you would get the 16 flashing lights. My money is on the tail housing needs replaced. 

some member a while back posted the transmission codes. Can't at the moment recall his name. 

Edited by john in KY

As long as it's not a VDC model, any 99-2004 trans tailshaft should work.

My bet is you've got worn clutchpak.  The discs get thin, and then the hydraulic force all goes into just closing the gaps before actually clamping on the satck and transfering drive.

I'd disassemble and install some new clutches and/or shim the old ones with a thicker retainer.  I've added one extra set of discs to the stack to take up the slop.  Scavenged from another junk trans.

BTW, what is the "snow switch" you speak of?  something you guys got in NZ?  Like a second gear start/traction control?

yeah the snow button does exactly what you describe.....it also locks the center clutch.

If it was a VDC would it engage with a thump?.....my understanding is that a VDC center has viscus drive, kinda like the old viscus cooling fan drive.....and they don't engage with a thump....at least i have never seen one do it.

Edited by LPGsuperchargedBrumby

yeah the snow button does exactly what you describe.....it also locks the center clutch.

If it was a VDC would it engage with a thump?.....my understanding is that a VDC center has viscus drive, kinda like the old viscus cooling fan drive.....and they don't engage with a thump....at least i have never seen one do it.

nah the VDC automatics use a planetary ger set and lock/unlock the sun gears to send power forward/back

Standard 4eat cannot alter the front output, only the rear.