Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'85 BRAT fuel tank & sender

My fuel tank needs help.  It looks OK on the outside, but is rusty and crusty on the inside and the fuel gauge sending unit is in similar shape.  The tank may be salvagable, but the sending unit is doubtful.

From what I've been able to glean from searching the Internet and this forum so far, neither the BRAT tanks nor sending units are unavailable new by either the OEM manufacturer or any aftermarket manufacturer.

I found one place that says they have a tank and sending unit, but am leery of them actually having it.

http://www.oemautopartsandaccessories.com/catalog/parts/list/system/fuel-system/g/fuel-system-components/v/subaru-brat-1985/vtec/45791/

That seems to leave me with a few options with the tank.

1. have a radiator shop clean the tank and hope for the best.

2. cut it open myself, clean it, weld it back together, and seal it.

3. try to use a tank from another '80-'87 4WD model and hope it fits/works

4. fabricate a completely new tank for the OEM location.

5. install a fuel cell in the bed.

Option 1 seems the best bet as long as I can find a shop.

Option 2 is doable, but will likely take longer than I want as my skills to do so are on the low end.

Option 3 is questionable since it seems the BRAT is always listed as a different tank than any of the other models when looking them up in parts finders.  I'm not sure if this is due strictly to the rear placement of the sending unit as compared to the top placement on the other tanks, or if they are physically different in size and shape.  If they are the same physical dimensions as another tank, I'm not sure what difference it makes between the top vs. the rear sending unit mounting location, or if the top mount sending unit will work correctly with the BRAT gauge.

Option 4 I have no skill in doing this, would need to have someone else do it for me, and it sounds expensive.

Option 5 is not a consideration since I want to keep the rear facing seats intact and usable and don't want a fuel tank in the bed.

With all of those options I will still need a new fuel sending unit.

I really can't believe an aftermarket company hasn't made these tanks like they do other models of the same vintage.

I also can't believe that while I have no problem finding 2,4, and 6 inch lift kits and 6 lug hub conversions for these vehicles, there isn't a handy entrepreneur out there somewhere who recognizes this need and fabricates a tank and sending unit retrofit kit for someone like me to purchase and install.

I've seen a few listed for sale on Facebook and maybe here. I've heard the station wagon tanks are the same. 

I had the same issue and in these parts old Subaru parts are hard to come by. I did this instead:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/161908-anybody-ever-cut-open-their-fuel-tank/

That's one of the threads I found while searching for solutions that eventually led me to this forum.  Good stuff.  What kind of epoxy did you use to seal up the tank?

Brat tanks are the same as coupes and wagons. I'm not sure about hatches. The only differences are whether they are turbo or not and 2wd or 4wd.

I am currently running a coupe turbo tank in mine and ran a wagon carb tank in the past.

Great info.  Since I prefer not to get involved in a tank project right now, something new that fits looks like the way to go.  I'm off to find a tank and sending unit for a non-turbo 4WD wagon.

That's one of the threads I found while searching for solutions that eventually led me to this forum.  Good stuff.  What kind of epoxy did you use to seal up the tank?

It's the Caswell Plating epoxy. I used it on another tank and really works well. You can order it direct or I think they sell it on Amazon.