Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hill holder is probably just adjusted too tight if it's dragging the brakes.

The hill holder cable is attached below the clutch cable on the release lever. Often if the clutch cable is adjusted the hill cable is forgotten, and the hill holder ends up being too tight after adjusting the clutch.

Back off the adjuster nuts on both cables so there is 1/4" slack in both.

Tighten the clutch cable until you have 1/8-1/4" of free play at the end of the release lever. Operate the pedal a few times and check that the engagement point of the clutch is satisfactory.

Tighten the lock nut on the clutch cable adjuster.

Turn the hill holder adjusting nut until it just starts to pull against the spring on the hill holder lever. (On frame rail below the master cylinder)

Test operation of the hill holder to ensure it doesn't drag. It should fully release when the clutch pedal is just before the point of clutch engagement. If the brake is still dragging when the clutch is engaged (car starts moving) the cable is too tight.

The hill holder should not prevent the car from rolling forward, only from rolling backward on a hill. If the hill holder prevents the car rolling forward it is adjusted too tight.

Tighten the lock nut on the hill cable after adjusting.

• Like 1

Hill holder is probably just adjusted too tight if it's dragging the brakes.

Hill holder should NEVER activate on flat or downhill slopes.  Only when the car is pointed uphill.  No matter how the cable is adjusted.  Are your rear springs saggy?  nosed up stance?

Sounds like in addition to proper cable adjustment, you may need to put a shim washer under the rear end of the hillholder assembly.  This will tilt it forward and prevent it from being able to activate unless the nose of the car is truely facing "uphill"

Edited by Gloyale

Hill holder should NEVER activate on flat or downhill slopes. Only when the car is pointed uphill. No matter how the cable is adjusted. Are your rear springs saggy? nosed up stance?

Sounds like in addition to proper cable adjustment, you may need to put a shim washer under the rear end of the hillholder assembly. This will tilt it forward and prevent it from being able to activate unless the nose of the car is truely facing "uphill"

Yes my dear end sags but I just can't take the hill holder anymore it's really annoying and agrivating.

Edited by SubaruLover20

Yes my dear end sags but I just can't take the hill holder anymore it's really annoying and agrivating.

if it was adjusted right you would never notice it.  You are judging it in non working form.  Something is wrong if it's "causing alot of problems"  

very useful actually when working properly.  It should require intent to make it engage.

You'd have to set the brakes hard with the clutch down on hills.

Edited by Gloyale

if it was adjusted right you would never notice it. You are judging it in non working form. Something is wrong if it's "causing alot of problems"

very useful actually when working properly. It should require intent to make it engage.

You'd have to set the brakes hard with the clutch down on hills.

Well thank you for the advice :) but I don't like it nonetheless I'm used to my old school chevy clutch so the hill holder is wierd to me lol but I found someone who can take it out for me without affecting the car

I believe this is in the open position.  I just used a tywrap to hold it here.  No spring required.  Not sure what you mean for the Clutch Return Spring.  There is one for the pedal and one for the shift linkage.  The clutch pressure plate actually returns the clutch.

302250d1450642504-weird-brake-problem-hi

Better picture with tyrap

10948d1205045859-how-remove-disable-hill

this is from a newer car.

93 will look similar but the cable comes in from the front, not the back.

The spring on the hillholder will hold it open.  no need to use a ziptie.

If you shim a washer under the back bolt of it so it's tipped forward, it will not activate as the ball will be rolled forward.

there is no reason to delete the system.  Other than lack of understanding.

this is from a newer car.

93 will look similar but the cable comes in from the front, not the back.

The spring on the hillholder will hold it open.  no need to use a ziptie.

If you shim a washer under the back bolt of it so it's tipped forward, it will not activate as the ball will be rolled forward.

there is no reason to delete the system.  Other than lack of understanding.

My issue was the valve would not return to open position even with the cable disconnected causing the brakes to drag and heat up.  I was able to force the valve to the open position and locked it there with a tyrap as a precaution.  

My issue was the valve would not return to open position even with the cable disconnected causing the brakes to drag and heat up.  I was able to force the valve to the open position and locked it there with a tyrap as a precaution.  

if that is what was happening that isn't your issue.

like I said.  It is impossible for the hill holder to "make" any pressure.  it can only lock pressure by means of a check ball that rolls to the back of the HH tube when angled uphill.  so it cannot hold pressure when on flat ground.

furthermore, when you are decelerating, via brakeing, the ball rolls forward in the tube.  it cannot hold that pressure being made.  UNless there is a major problem like the pin in the holder being broken, it is Impossible for the holder to cause the brakes to drag.

Mike I would suggest that you have other issues, like a stuck caliper.  Or you are driving everywhere in reverse.

The whole reason I want it deleted is because it's another thing for me to worry about and adjust I don't like the hill holder I want to feel my car roll back a little so I know that my clutch is working properly thank you mike104

???

this is silly.  If you want less system to worry about breaking get a bicycle.  You are not understanding what it does or how it works so you are intimidated and want to remove it.  

there are thousands of sytems in the car working toghether all the time.  this is just one more.  it's easy to adjust, very seldom fails, and makes a dangerous situation, better. (what subarus do)

feeling the vehichle roll backwards doesn't indicate anything about clutch condition.  It just makes it so you have to slip and wear your clutch more.

Edited by Gloyale

so it cannot hold pressure when on flat ground.

It's not supposed to but It can if its not adjusted properly and/or the check valve/internals are crudded-up from old fluid.

Only time I've had trouble with one though was when the lever was sticking on a 95 that I worked on several years ago. Car was a rust bucket and had a bunch of dirt stuck in around the lever and the spring. Blasted it out with compressed air, brushed off what I could with a wire brush, soaked it with penetrating oil and worked the lever back and forth full travel a couple dozen times and it freed up just fine. Followed up with white spray grease. Haven't seen the car since then, but it worked fine when It left my hands.