Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sorry I should have been more clear, the sound was infact there before I replaced the clutch kit. It is indeed the same sound.

I think maybe it was lack of lubrication, as I have seen some others liberally apply grease to the fork and pivot ball.

You where right in saying I did not want to hear that!

Yeah,,,,,

Greeze it up!

but,,    These are not rotating parts.....  so don't over do it. with the grease(clutches hate it!)......  Some wheel bearing grease it goood.....

All I drive are sticks......    So I have never had issues..... like this(you are talking about)..... and I have never replaced

any of those parts.........   (just what's in the clutch kit).....  I have run these creatures(old gens) to  over  300,ooo miles

Just to say....  If it apart replace everything..... (that you have not replaced yet)

And I have seen weirder coincidences::::  Meaning...

You push in the clutch and sound goes away....

May possibly not have to do with the clutch parts......

( I have seen weld joints that are failing - creek like your sound. not to say that is what you issue is)

but to say ,,, replace all that was not initially replaced....   and see....  don't have super expectations...

just see and go from there.......

good luck with it..........

Micky

Thanks Micky,

I have almost put everything back together and was pretty generous with the grease.

I found this article which gave mea  good idea on how much grease to apply - www.subispeed.com/instructions/tsb-clutch-release-bearing.pdf

I ended up replacing the retaining clip on the fork, the fork itself and the pivot ball the fork rides on, and installed the sleeve and new release bearing to suit.

Everything got a good coat of grease. Put the gearbox back in today, but started to get a bit too dark in my work area so will finish the rest tomorrow.

that said the clutch pedal feels great and I did not notice any odd noises. So far so good, it also felt much more study and solid once everything was clipped in. No where near as much side to side movement as before.

Will post up once I have the car running.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to put a end to this topic - I put the car back together, gave everything a good coat of grease and all is well.

I believe it was a combination of problems - a worn/uneven clutch fork, input shaft housing grooves, worn clutch fork clip, worn pivot ball and of course - lack of lubrication.

I used this pdf as a guide to how much grease to put on, http://www.subispeed.com/instructions/t ... earing.pdf

So far no issues and it hasn't made any noises :)