Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy 2012 2-part airbox / low beam - weird problem

Had to replace low-beam bulb on passenger side.  I'm sure you know what a PITA that is.  Anyway, I removed the airbox to get better access.  I disconnected the MAP cable and undid a nut and a bolt and pulled out the airbox.  But there is a SECOND airbox underneath with a friction-fit tube connecting the 2 boxes.  There is no way to reconnect the second, lower airbox - it is captured by the frame, and it rattles around freely.  So I put the car back together ( without connecting lower airbox ), and the thing runs like crap at highway speeds. 

So how do I connect the lower airbox to the upper airbox?  I'm totally baffled.

Thanks for your help

Bill

Could you post a picture of what you're talking about.

Normally they are connected together and can be removed as one piece.

And as a word of advice. To replace low beams on newer legacy, you go in through the wheel well. Quite easy to do. Just annoying doing it on the ground

>> And as a word of advice. To replace low beams on newer legacy, you go in
through the wheel well. Quite easy to do. Just annoying doing it on the
ground

I did both - I peeled back the wheel well and had access from the inside when I replaced the bulb on that side.  It made replacing the splash cover *somewhat* easier.  I replaced the other side's bulb completely from the outside.  I'm slowly learning that suebees are somewhat hard to work on.  Replacing the front differential fluid was also "fun" ( but not nearly as bad as the lowbeams. OMG. )

Anyway, the picture is coming ...

Okay, for some reason this board will not accept my pictures.  <sigh>  Anyway, it's all fixed - all I had to do was press out on the wheelwell cover ( the plastic ), and I was able to pull out the lower airbox.  Then I could attach it to the upper airbox, and install the whole thing as a single assemblage.  The suebee now runs beautifully.  Wow, my 5 minutes of stupidity in front of the world.  Oh well, on to the next possibility to be stupid....

:lol: