Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just a tip on the EA71 Oil Pump

When replacing the oil pump on a EA71, make sure you bring the plate inbetween the block and pump with the oil pump, 2 backwards screws that you can't access unless the pump is removed is what's holding that plate to the pump, also this casted plate is very fragile, so any prying will cause it to crack, but unfortunately the cylindrical piece that is in the block that needs to come out with the pump feels almost like it's pressed in, so it takes a ridiculous amount of force, poor design, be ready to order a remanufactured pump because the chances of this 40 year old pump coming out intact are pretty much non existant.

just wanted to mention this since my hard to find 1979 Subaru Dealership Repair Manual Book that explains pretty much everything in ridiculous detail about the EA71 and anything inbetween, except the oil pump.

it shows an exploded view of the oil pump pressure sensor, apparently if you want to rebuild the little thing or something? useless.

If removal of oil pump is anything like VW type1-3 engines, it really helps to loosen the case bolts near oil pump before removal.

EA engines would be the same I think.

Case halves pinch around body of the oil pump. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, czny said:

If removal of oil pump is anything like VW type1-3 engines, it really helps to loosen the case bolts near oil pump before removal.

EA engines would be the same I think.

Case halves pinch around body of the oil pump. 

you're right, splitting the case would relieve the pressure, but that's ridiculous that it has to be that way.

Well then early Porsche 356 engines are ridiculous too........:lol:

I seem to recall that oversize oil pumps were available for VW cases just to cure case leakage problems.

I lost count of how many VW engines I built in the 70s & 80s. Lost a few gray cells too :P

Of course air cooled VW engines had & still have a huge following so aftermarket products are/were in abundance.

https://www.jbugs.com/product/5002.html

Could a custom bridge puller be used ?

Edited by czny
suggest oil pump tool