Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP! Can't get hood open on 2011 Impreza

I have a huge problem right now.  Have a 2011 Impreza with about 120,000 mi.   A few weeks back i was having problem with hood latching (primary latch).   I sprayed hood  latch assembly and after a few tries the hood solidly latched.   The other day  I wanted to check the oil and found  hood would NOT unlatch.   I pull the cable  which seem like it is still intact  (much tension)  but it will not release.

With a flashlight in hand  I can see secondary latch can move freely when i pull it with a long screwdriver,  but primary latch is jammed.    I have been trying a variety of things this morning to no avail.   I have been trying to bang the latch with long hammer and   punch,  more lubricant,  pry bars etc  but  no good.

I was trying to see if i could remove 3 bolts holding on latch assembly (12 mm) but that seems next to impossible as well.     Any combination  of  wobble extensions and universal joints cannot get socket on bolt.

I was trying to see if removing bumper cover would  be a help but i see in instructions  you need access to top of  grille and obviously with hood closed that would be difficult.

Anyone have a suggestion ,  this has become more critical as in the past few days it seems like i have developed  battery problems as well!!    Thanks  in advance.

s-l1600back.jpg

s-l1600angle.jpg

s-l1600front.jpg

s-l1600a.jpg

Edited by JGromada
found better pictures of latch

there are a couple of youtube generic videos on releasing broken/stuck latches.

I don't have your model (and I have the flu) so I can't evaluate how easy it is to access the latch as in this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMrjwUfdiiE

Edit:

Whenever I've run into situations where I keep hammering, pressing, pulling, pushing etc. in one direction without success, I turn my efforts 180 degrees and see if that works.

Edited by brus brother

Thank you for your input.   I  ended up fixing the problem,  but it took  removing the  front bumper cover to do it.     Let me document the steps so that anyone in the future might benefit from my thread and make it a bit easier to proceed.   Let me reiterate this was for  a 2011  Impreza  but i am thinking the WRX  in the model series  would be the same as well.

1.  Start by removing all  push-pin clips from the side wheel wells.  I used a small phillips to slightly turn the clip and then a small flat blade to pry each of these out. 

2.  Remove all clips from under neath the bumper cover.   There are ones at each corner and some more that were underneath the car.  I had at least one that was missing.   I used a special tool  i had gotten  from Harbor Freight which made this much easier.   (i have another one from Blue Point) and this one is just as good)

3.  I then removed the four push pin connectors  from the top of the grille section by reaching in from the bottom.  I did  jack up the car and put it up on jack stands for extra clearance.       The center two are pretty easy to get out and even fell below  once i pressed on them.     I have a picture of the  grille-less front of the car to show where these  push-pin clips are  but you can easily see the center two from below.       The  side ones are much trickier.    They are  kind of tucked away into the bracket that also holds the  headlights in place,   I added a picture to show how it  configured.   I had to basically break away the bottom part of the  push-pin clip  to remove these clips.   (I am planning on replacing any clips that were messed up or missing anyway)

4.  At this point bumper cover is still in place being pinch by the hood.   If you watch any of the myriad bumper cover removal videos out there they show the process which sounds like you are "ripping"  the cover  but  the two sections basically clip together  and you are just pulling them apart.   If you successfully  remove the top 4 clips  you can start pulling the bumper cover directly away from the car.   Before you completely remove it  you will want to disconnect the fog lights connectors (if you have fog lights). 

5. With the grille removed it is relatively  easy to remove the 3 bolts holding the hood latch assembly.   This was impossible with the grille in place and in fact the following steps would have been impossible with the grille in place.

6.  Now the hood can move up a bit but is limited  by the  hood release cable that is still attached.   Getting this off was a bit tricky since  the  cable is attached to the rear of the latch you cannot see.  I got a mirror to help me a bit there.   I removed the first part of the cable from the right hand side of the latch and this gives you a bit more slack in the cable.  Removing the clip which  holds the cable in place  to the top of the radiator support  gives  you a bit more support as well.

7.  Eventually after fiddling around with the end of the  cable I was able to remove it entire from the latch assembly and the hood was free!     I am leaning towards replacing this cable as the end looks kinked and a bit rusty although  I do not relish doing this task.   

8.  So now the hood is open but old latch is still attached to  hood the piece of hood that  is retained by the latch.   To remove this I took a pair of large "channellock"  type pliers  and  squeezed between the  two points where the  cable was attached.   It took a considerable amount of force  to squeeze this together  as the latch was very rusty.   I included a picture of the rusty latch below.   This obviously had not been visible  prior to its removal. 

9.  So it is evening now  and I am going to have to order another  latch assembly,  push-pin clips  and a hood release cable as i mentioned.   I did see a video  that  ChrisFix  did  where he suggested that the new cable be drawn in from the  hood release inside the car after taping the new cable to the old cable.  I shall try this.

Let me know if anyone has any questions,  but as they say this worked for me!

1013181836.jpg

1013181837.jpg

1013181838.jpg

1013181837a.jpg

• Like 1