Ultimate Subaru Message Board

*Help* 1999 Legacy lower fuel filler hose issue

Hey fellas, it's been a long long time since I have been around here. Many things have changed in my world, and here I am back in a Subaru again!

Here is the issue. Just picked up a "low" mileage 1999 Legacy Wagon 2.2 5spd. The fuel filler hose (rubber from filler tube to tank). What is the easiest way to change this? I am now paralyzed below my knees from a fall that killed me two years ago, so the easiest is the best for me. I'm still trying to do as many things as I can manage. :)

Thanks for the help fellas! It's good to be back 

FB_IMG_1534888561916.jpg

Glad you're back at it!  

I've never seen the approx 10" long rubber hose section fail.  The metal tube that comes down from the gas cap does rust out.  

Either way, you will need to pull the filler tube back to get the rubber section out.  It's a pain.  The clamp at each end of the hose can rust and make it even harder.

To get the filler tube to move there are the screws up at the filler and then 2 or 3 10mm bolts in the fender well under the black plastic cover.  If it's been on dirt roads expect it to be full of dirt as well.  

• Like 2

Glad you're back at it!  

I've never seen the approx 10" long rubber hose section fail.  The metal tube that comes down from the gas cap does rust out.  

Either way, you will need to pull the filler tube back to get the rubber section out.  It's a pain.  The clamp at each end of the hose can rust and make it even harder.

To get the filler tube to move there are the screws up at the filler and then 2 or 3 10mm bolts in the fender well under the black plastic cover.  If it's been on dirt roads expect it to be full of dirt as well.  

Might want to have a good filler tube on hand as well or at least have him inspect it before he goes too far.  Don't want to have to do the job 2 times.

• Like 1