Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New member from Ne Ohio with trans issues help

Well I just got my dad's old legacy and it's not bad none turbo thou bummer but still nice. Having some issues and need some help with the stuipid auto trans at oil light flashing and codes for solinoids c and po700.  I ordered new solinoids and installed with new fluid and filters but still prob won't leave.  Car won't shift out of second gear even in sport mode any help will be appreciated thx guys I've tried clearing codes stored but keep coming back is their a way to reset the tcu I think it needs to relearn with the 6 new solinoids I installed.  Anyone local to me in Ne Ohio that could maybe help.  Do I have to flash the stuipid tcu or will just unhooking battery for a night do the trick because it hasn't so far.  Can I just use a flash cable and download to files to flash it to clear.  

Edited by billyfrancis40
Added

There is no relearning or flashing.  If the issue is fixed the TCU instantly sees that, the light goes out, and shifting returns to normal.  You don’t need to do anything at all, the TCU recovers on its own.  

*** so you were able to read the trans codes?  You had two trans codes, 0700 (from the ECU), and a duty C solenoid code (for the trans TCU), replaced all the solenoids, and still have the same two trans codes?

The transmission will shift perfectly fine with a failed Duty C solenoid.  The P0700 tells us this is more than a duty C solenoid issue.  

The duty C solenoid is not located with the group of solenoids inside the pan.  Did you only replace the solenoids in the pan or you also removed the rear and replaced the Duty C solenoid?

Probably one of the following:

1. Ideally tell us:

a. All existing engine codes 

b. All existing trans codes (the exact numbers...P0XYZ)

2. What year vehicle is this?

3. Check the trans pan for damage or signs of prior damage, repair or replacement. 

4.  There’s a wiring issue. Inside the pan is common if the pan was previously damaged.  Or rodent wiring damage - chewed wiring.  Trace the trans wires with a VOM or follow all the wiring carefully to the TCU. 

5.  If it’s a 2004 or earlier, swap in another TCU. They’re plug and play.

6. Was there ever any major repair, engine or trans swap, or accident in the car?

Here all are codes today as of rehooking up battery

P1718,p0134,p0700,p0763 

Car is a 08 legacy none turbo with a 4eat trans 

I replaced the internal filter not the external one yesterday with about 4 qts of new fluid.  Pan looks good but does have a very little dent on the external filter.  At oil light flashes none stop and won't go away for nothing .

No noticable wire damage but not sure where tcu is I think under dash by steering column and I followed those as well look ok.  

Got car from my dad which is original owner and he had it maintenance at subi deal for life of car. Car did sit for about a yr.  He's had all done to it heads belts trans serviced and so on.  Really confusing me.  Really all this happened when a trans cooler line was leaking and we just cut where it was leaking and ran rubber hose instead of the metal rusty line inside the engine bay to the radiator.  Since then the light has flashed like crazy.  Thx Screenshot_20190922-083626.thumb.png.209bb24f8454179cb4febee9a9b6aec3.png

IMG_20190922_085659593_HDR.jpg

6 hours ago, billyfrancis40 said:

Yah I think the solinoids I changed wasn't the right ones I just read today I have to possibly change the clutch pack and the solinoid duty c is on the tail of the trans and that's hopefully it can't really find the parts to order thou.  

I’m not familiar with the Duty C causing all those codes. Duty C is typically not that critical - it won’t show that many codes and drive poorly. 

Were the solenoids you replaced positively the right year and model?

It’s a 4 cylinder right ?