Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi from Iowa

Hi from iowa - i am an english instructor and have a 1997 outback legacy 2.5 liter. i have had her for going on two years. only had 2 owners before me. bought her for cheap here in iowa and have had to replace a bunch of things after a misfire. she likes to leak oil so i'm having that looked at tomorrow and having my timing belt replaced (covered in oil). fingers crossed! i just crossed 200k and want to go 100k more. xx b

Hey welcome. I'm from Minnesota. Sounds like either your oil pump seal or cam seals. Maybe both I'd have them replace them even if they aren't leaking just due to being old. And I'd also have the oil pan pulled off and sealed up with some high quality silicone. And probably have the water pump replaced while they have the timing belt off and what ever timing pulleys need to be replaced. I'd have all 4 replaced myself.  Other than that sounds like you have a great car.

11 hours ago, el_freddo said:

"If the cam wheels are metal there’s no need to replace them. 

Check to ensure the oil leak isn’t from the head gaskets. I’m not sure that this is an EJ25D issue, just an EJ251 issue.

Welcome to the forum! 

Cheers 

Bennie"

The cam wheels on the EJ25D are that hard plastic. The head gasket are an issue with the EJ25D as well.