Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I realize the 2001 axles mate with the 2001 transmission in a different manner from the 2005 axle/transmission.

My question: when replacing a manual 5-speed in my 2005 Outback, if I go with a 2001 transmission (with the proper 4:11 gearing), can I just swap in 2001 front axles?

I assume someone knows but just in case....

The length is a non-issue and they appear very similar, just the spline count on both ends is what needs to work  

See if the automatic stub shaft part (It just pulls out of the trans real easy and is the same spline count/diameter as MTs) is the same part number for 2005 as it is for 2004 (all 04-01 axles interchange). This will verify that an 01 axle will fit on the 05 trans which I think it does. 

The hub side will be trickier as they went from pressed in to bolt on bearings so there’s no easy test.  They look the same visually and the brakes and struts all swap so they weren’t completely changed. 

Thank you for your response.  Manual 2005 trans (broken) being swapped for a good manual 2001 trans.  Finding issues with the axle length, 2005 axle is longer than 2001 axle, causing issues at the inner CV joint.  Will try your idea of pulling the stub shaft  out of the 2001 and comparing that to the stub shaft on the 2005 axles. No automatics were injured (or involved) in this process. lol