Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aftermarket keyless entry Legacy 96

Hi,

Probably a stupid question... So I have tried to build in a keyless entry system in my legacy BG II from 1996 but it doesn't work. The box lights up and clicks when I activate it with the remote. Following the manual found there: http://www.randomsoup.com/subie/subiealarmmanuals.html I plugged the box to the permanent + 12 V and the ground to the screw holding the door lock timer. Now in another I found, you connect the EOM keyless entry box to the wiring of the door lock timer. My aftermarket keyless entry box wiring looks like the one in the attached picture. As I understand from the door lock timer wiring, the car uses a positive and negative trigger. So I connected the according wires in parallel to the wires connected to poles 1 and 3 of the door lock system. When I did connect the wires to the permanent + 12 V and grounds it made a short. Should I also the +12V to pin 2 and GND to pin 4 of the door lock timer?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance!

183696632_doorlocktimerwiring.thumb.png.0bde54b1ff08ab11ccaeef1b61b731e5.png

typicalkeylessentry.jpg

Hi Rampage, thanks for your answer. Sorry about that. I bought the kit there. The website doesn't seem to have an english version. Anyways, it's a pretty generic keyless entry system and while I can't find the installation notice online, the cabling is very similar to the picture above, i.e. The white and white/black are the positive and negative triggers while the yellow and yellow/black carry the + 12V and the orange and orange/black the GND.

I don't care about triggering the lights so I ignored the other cables. I just plugged the +12V (red) to the yellow/green cable of the B-52 connector above the fuse box in the driver's side kick panel, as explained in the subaru installation instruction and the GND to the nut holding the door lock timer metal frame. That works, my keyless entry box turns on and is triggered by the remote, I hear the relays clicking.

So what is the trigger on these old subaru? How would you connect the cabling?

On your 96 Legacy door lock mechanism the wiring diagram shows that the drivers door only has a (On Off) switch and the rest of the doors have motors (solenoids). When the drivers door is locked or unlocked the switch tells the Door Lock Timer to lock or unlock the other doors.

For your addon keyless entry system to work you need to install a motor in the drivers door and attach it to the door lock linkage rods. In the image you posted the lower right corner is the wiring you will use. White and White Black wires to the addon motor. The White and White Black wires must be run into the door for the motor. That info is in the link you provided.

When the remote is used the module will run the addon motor which moves the linkage and operates the original switch telling the Door Lock Timer to lock or unlock the other doors.

If the motor did not come with your kit you can try to add one from a parts car. I don't know if a left or right door lock motor will work best. You can get a left and right from the rear doors. You will have to experiment with the polarity of the two wires to the addon motor so that the Remote Lock button makes the doors Lock.

Thanks for your spot on answer! I managed to have the keyless entry work and indeed, the driver's door is not actuated. I will look for motors then. Thanks for the hint on polarity and the attempt with motors from both sides.

In case someone would want to know how I connected the box, it's a "positive isolated trigger": the yellow and yellow/black cables go on the permant +12V. Cut the cable running to pin 1 and connect on the door lock timer side the orange cable and on the other side the orange/black. Cut the cable running to pin 3 and connect on the the door lock timer side the white cable and on the other side the white/black.