Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No, I got it out now, but the threads are stripped. This is the second time this happened on this car. Never happened on any of my other cars. I should probably have someone change the plugs for me next time, or use anti-seize or something. Should I try to put the plug back in for the ride to the mechanic(couple miles) or will that do more harm than good at this point? It might blow out anyway.

Sorry to hear that. It is important to just use a socket, and extension if needed, to start the plug in the threads for the first couple of turns. This will give you a good FEEL for the angle of the plug body to the threads. I stripped the theads on a motorcycle engine I used to have many years ago. It was after that I never used a wrench to start the plug in the threads. So far that has kept me from any further trouble. Never force the turning beyond what you can turn with your fingers only. If the plug digs into the threads you just back off and try to feel for the correct position.

If you can disconnect the injector power leads to that cylinder then I would leave the plug out. It will sound pretty strange though while it is running.

Dittos on the starting the plug by hand. I slip a 6" piece of rubber tubing over the insulator to give me some reach and something to turn until the plug bottoms. It really helps me because the angle the plugs go in isn't always obvious. Another key is to use a torque wrench. As I recall, it only take about 15 foot pounds to seal the gaskets.

I like that tubing idea, excellent. Also to make enough room if necessary move a large item out of the way, like the wiper solution container or air cleaner. I'm grateful for the support I get on this forum, maybe someday I'll be able to help someone else. I'm a pharmacist by trade, ask me if you ever have questions about medications.

FWIW, I once drove a 2.8l V6 powered buick several miles to a friends place with one of the plugs missing. Well, it was sort of missing. The threads had broken off in the head, so the porcelin and center electrode were gone. You should have heard it! Phit, Phit, Phit, Phit, Phit, Phit. It was hilarious! It didn't hurt anything thankfully.