Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Like an idiot, I left the 2018 Forester moonroof open during a downpour! Now features of Eyesight gradually quit working, also airbags. Can they dry out and be repaired? If not, what will new cost? I bit the bullet to hire a great detailing pro who had a cancelation to take out the seats and carpet to clean and dry everything, on a holiday weekend, no less. The dealership couldn't get me in until Tuesday. Not holding my breath electronics will be working by then, probably toasted. Should I wait to take it in to give it more time to dry out just in case? I would appreciate any advice.

Where did most of the water pool up?

Is there dry air in your area tomorrow? Do you have a garage or dehumidifier?

Doors routinely get wet and windows and locks don’t work right, or at all, for a few days until it dries out.   although a moonroof allows copious amounts of water so?!

Dry it out:

1. Sop up as much water as possible with towels and under seats. Or water proof shopvacs.

2. Get the *air moving* and windows down. If you have a garage - put a fan in the vehicle with windows down. Or if it’s hot out leave windows cracked and car in sun. Or both - sun and fan w/windows cracked. Heat + air exchange is ideal  it’ll dry out really quick  

You want as much cabin air exchange as possible as long as outside air isn’t high humidity  

If the windows are closed or you live in a humid environment the air reaches high humidity and becomes too saturated to allow more water to evaporate. Air movement is key.

* Alternately in some situations you might leave all windows closed and run a dehumidifier if you do live in some high humidity climates or can let it run overnight.

Ideally the car is left to dry only and not ever turned on. You don’t want wet electronics seeing voltages. But that’s almost impossible without severe cost and inconvenience.

Thank you for your concern and good suggestions. I was told I am not the only idiot to do this, so I hope it might help someone else. Yes, copious amounts of water on my front leather seats and underneath, where the Eyesight Module was bolted down. After shop vaccing it, and towels, I did my best to dry it out with no garage and raining outside, again! I got creative and threw a big tarp over top, secured it not too tight and rolled the windows down a bit with a little airspace. Blew the heater full blast for an hour, checking on it. It actually seemed to do a decent job with the carpeting, but under the carpet was a different story.  I realized I needed more help. Now I have great news!!

Problem solved!! Best decision ever to get professional help. I found a local detailer who pulled out the seats and carpet and gave it a mold remediation treatment, just in case. He even took out the Eyesight module to see if it would dry overnight. He did an amazing job on a holiday weekend and even delivered the car! It is not only showroom clean and dry, with an enzyme treatment to prevent future mold issues, but the best part? No promises, but all the electronics work now!! Eyesight, airbags, everything! He had the right equipment and experience with a great, family attitude. He quoted between $300-400 and went the extra mile for only $350! I thought it would cost thousands to replace and pay a dealership. Now I can cancel my appointment. I feel very blessed and plan to pay him extra. :D

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 5/30/2022 at 12:57 AM, SubaruGirl5 said:

Thank you for your concern and good suggestions. I was told I am not the only idiot to do this, so I hope it might help someone else. Yes, copious amounts of water on my front leather seats and underneath, where the Eyesight Module was bolted down. After shop vaccing it, and towels, I did my best to dry it out with no garage and raining outside, again! I got creative and threw a big tarp over top, secured it not too tight and rolled the windows down a bit with a little airspace. Blew the heater full blast for an hour, checking on it. It actually seemed to do a decent job with the carpeting, but under the carpet was a different story.  I realized I needed more help. Now I have great news!!

Problem solved!! Best decision ever to get professional help. I found a local detailer who pulled out the seats and carpet and gave it a mold remediation treatment, just in case. He even took out the Eyesight module to see if it would dry overnight. He did an amazing job on a holiday weekend and even delivered the car! It is not only showroom clean and dry, with an enzyme treatment to prevent future mold issues, but the best part? No promises, but all the electronics work now!! Eyesight, airbags, everything! He had the right equipment and experience with a great, family attitude. He quoted between $300-400 and went the extra mile for only $350! I thought it would cost thousands to replace and pay a dealership. Now I can cancel my appointment. I feel very blessed and plan to pay him extra. :D

Wow. That’s a fantastic price.  
Thank you so much for posting back. I was very curious how this would work out.

• Like 1