Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Vacuum Leak Advice?

My Brat has had a vacuum leak on and off since I've had it. I've spent a lot of quality time looking for it to no avail. To add to the joy it seems to be intermittent and seems to just fix itself eventually. Besides running like poo, I know it's acting up when the vent flap in the dash somewhere doesn't go "THUNK" shortly after I start it up. I still have a lot of emissions junk on it which would probably make my life easier but right now it is what it is.

So my question is, does anybody with more experience with me have any pointers to try and help track this down?

Found my vacuum leak! This sort of explains why it was intermittent, because sometimes the leak was bigger than other times depending on how much the metal pipe was bent at the break. I just replaced this whole section with hose and it runs great now! In case you are wondering, this was mounted on the top of the engine on the back, and ran from just above the EGR valve towards the drivers side of the engine. Looks like the other end had broken in the past and somebody just got a longer hose, which is essentially my solution too except now the hose is attached to the engine and not this extension whatever.

vacuum-leak.jpg

That is EGR pipe? Exhaust gas gets pretty hot, too hot I would think for rubber hose, maybe even silicone hose. Or is it just some sort of other fresh air rebreather stuff? I have seen about very few EGR on EA81 engines, maybe just one on an engine that was imported as a used/low km engine from Japan. We got more the air pump style of adding fresh, filtered? air to the exhaust, rather than try adding exhaust to the intake - right up to the last 1992 editions..

Maybe, but so far so good. 🙂 I am keeping the bits in the car for a while just in case something goes horribly wrong and I have to rig another solution. But both ends were hose, so I figured all hose would be OK. It does come off just above the EGR valve and goes all the way to the firewall to a widget near the windshield wiper motor, which I assume is emissions related. Whatever it is I don't think there is much flow because there are only a couple vacuum looking hoses attached to the widget, so I am assuming it's just a giant vacuum hose.

• Like 1

You could possibly bend a tube the same diameter and cut the one on the bracket in half along the length. Cut the ends far enough away from the bracket to put hose clamps on it to secure the new bent tube in place.  Looking in the service manual, it looks like factory used a chunk of hose on each end so i think if you got high heat hose it would work OK.

The widget is an anti-after burning valve. I don't know anything about that, but perhaps it is not allowing the gases to flow thru, and this allowed condensate to build up and corrode the tube.  My best guess would be to pull the hose off the EGR valve and see if there is suction while the car is running.