Ultimate Subaru Message Board

94 Loyale speedo error

The speedo reads higher than it should; by 10 at 35 mph, by 15 at 50, and 20 at 70.

I saw the dealer about a new cable and speedo gear. The dealer said the gear is part of the cable. That sounds odd. The cable is due in today (late as usual). Is the dealer correct about the gear?

I did not find oil on the speedo head as others have.

When I removed the cable it looked basically fine. Unlike other cars when I tried to pull up on where the speedo gear would be in the transaxle it would not come out. I did not pull hard though.

Anyone else have these issues?

What size tires are on the car? Loyales do *not* take the same factory tire size as the older models. Factory for them is listed as a "165r13", which I believe is a 165/80/13. Check the tag on the door jamb to find that number. Many people put 175/70/13 tires on Loyales, which will throw off the speedometer just like you say, though I wouldn't think it would do it to such a high degree...

What size tires are on the car? Loyales do *not* take the same factory tire size as the older models. Factory for them is listed as a "165r13", which I believe is a 165/80/13. Check the tag on the door jamb to find that number. Many people put 175/70/13 tires on Loyales, which will throw off the speedometer just like you say, though I wouldn't think it would do it to such a high degree...

I have new 165/80R13 tires that are properly inflated. These kind of errors are not tire related. When I had 185/70R13 the error were onlt slightly different that I now have.

The problem must be (1) speedo cable, (2) speedo gear, (3) speedo -- aka instrument cluster, or (4) something in the transaxle.

Where the speedo cable goes into the tranny, there is a seal down there that likes to go bad, causing tranny fluid to come up the speedo cable. Did you notice lots of grease on the cable? If you replace the seal and the cable isn't overly greasy, then the speedo unit might be alright. Otherwise you will have to take apart the dash to get at the other end of the cable and look for grease etc.

Martin

Where the speedo cable goes into the tranny, there is a seal down there that likes to go bad, causing tranny fluid to come up the speedo cable. Did you notice lots of grease on the cable? If you replace the seal and the cable isn't overly greasy, then the speedo unit might be alright. Otherwise you will have to take apart the dash to get at the other end of the cable and look for grease etc.

Martin

Well the cable was fine after all. I did replace it anyway. No oil or whatever. The speedo is still grossly off. I think I am going to install a VDO 85 MPH electronic auto calibrating speedo on the dash.