Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86' Subaru DL

When I bought my car it had a problem, it had to be warmed up before you could drive it at all, and you had to hold the accelerator down slightly so it wouldn't die even then. The guy I bought it from said this was normal for these cars, he called it a wax block or something, but I am becoming skeptical now. I am at college and don't want to have to warm my car up every time I want to go out. Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be?

More info. It dies going up hill more so than down hill when you try to drive it when its not fully warmed up. And it will die if you put it into 3rd gear. It also burns a blue smoke if I try and run it before its warm. Anyway I am puzzled and would love any advise on the subject I can get. Thanks, Steven

well the blue smoke thing means that the engine is burning oil, once it warms up this stop right?

my 91 loy-a has the motor out of an 88 spfi with 200,000 miles on it and it to will smoke when she's cold. these motors with high mileage the tolerances aren't up to spec when it's cold, but once the engine warms up the valves seat properly and the piston rings will expand and seal up properly. to where you can drive all day long up to the redline without smoking anymore till it cools off and your restart the cold engine usually the next day.

I would think if you set the choke on it (carbbed) it should idle fine. To set the choke press the accelerator pedal to the floor once and then start the car, It should idle around 2,000 rpm. then once she has been running for a few minutes lightly tap the gas pedal to disengage the choke or just let it go and it will disengage itself automatically once it reaches temperature.

Follow the thread titled 1989 GL dies at low RPM. My secondary problem has to deal with the car not running well when cold...as I fix things I will update the post with the results for others to use as a resource.

Peace

Bikepo