Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tyre time!

Ok....ive already chosen the make....Khumo Victoracers. They last longer and are less expensive than the Hooisers....although the hooisers are more sticky....im on a budget.

should I got with 245/45/16? Or the 265/45/16? im set on either one or the other....looks like I can squeeze the 245's under the stock fenders...the 265's...i might if i limit body roll...but then steering clearance....

I was thinking I'd go with the 245's to start with...but the 265's are only $3 more a tire...

Oh, and i need 4 16X7~8 6 lug rims. I guess it depends on how wide of a rim i can find to start with...

6 lug? Its easier than doing the whol 5 lug thing.

2 options....

1. Drill 2 holes in the 6 lug rims and ive got 4x140 rims.

2. Drill 4 holes in the hub and have a 6 lug hub

why wide? Traction. I need more grip on autocross. Im trying to outrun WRX's and STi's...that and Im tired of being close to last or what not and everyone who's up top has 225/50 (or 45)/xx tires...me need something better than 205/60 all seasons or the old as heck R1's that i have...and those are mismatched....205/60 and 185/60...

ive got new dampers and springs on the way, i am working on handling before the power.

okay, but isnt' there a point where tires are too wide? And wont 245/45-16's be larger in circumference than your stock tires? Meaning you'll be accellerating slower. Personally, if I wanted wider tires I'd go with something like 225/40-16's or something. What suspension are you using?

Sorry if I'm annoying or something, this is interesting to me.

the shortest tires I can find are 225/45 hooisers....i want wider ones, the 245's.....yes, the 265's would be too wide...fender clearance.

Ive not found any tire that will not increase the overall diameter past stock with the width and traction that I want....while i could go 15 inch...Ive not found any thing wider than 225.....It really depends on what wheels i come across first...then i will make the final tire decision.

Check out the 205/40/16 dang near 8" wide and only 22.40" high

http://coopertire.com/us/en/ProductDetails.asp?ProdType=UHP&id=223

Im looking for pure R compund tires....read: RACE TIRES. I did find some thru the site...but nothing in the size needed to keep the ratio correct....

shadow: i forgot you got all the 5 lug stuff with it too...those parts had a hard life, but they were rescued from death by me! :banana:

Will, Will, Will...have you learned nothing...LOL ;)

You do not need 245+ tires to make your car competitive at autocross. You do not need 300hp to make your car competitive at autocross. My car has neither of these and is similar in weight to your wagon and is still both outrunning you and rivaling (and even outrunning) several higher powered cars with wider tires!

Three things you should concentrate on first:

(1) Driver

This is the most important factor in autocross and improvements in this area will make a much greater difference than other modifications will this early in your autocross career. A $225 Evolution school will do more than any $225 modification to you car would ever think of doing. I got notably faster after my EVO Phase I school and am definitely planning to go back.

(2) Tires

This is the second most important factor in autocross. One thing to remember is that all tire sizes are NOT created equal (or sometimes even close)...R-compound tires tend to be MUCH WIDER than equivalent street tires in the same sizes. For example, a 205 Hoosier is typically wider than a 225 street tire!

Also width is NOT everything. Sure a 245/45-16 will have more lateral grip than a 205/50-15, but the car equipped with 205/50-15 will have better acceleration everywhere on the course over the 245/45-16-equipped car. Rolling diameter makes a notable difference it autocross, which is why I run smaller than stock combos on my cars. A smaller overall diameter gives you 4 advantages that make a big difference at autocross: (1) better gearing (better acceleration), (2) lower weight (better acceleration, cornering, braking etc.), (3) lower polar moment of inertia (in other words, the weight is closer to the hub, thus it is easier to accelerate/decelerate as the inertia of the wheel/tire combo is lower) and (4) lower center of gravity (which unlike suspension lowering does not affect your suspension travel).

Remember my car is a similar weight and is only running 225/50-15 Victoracers and is doing GREAT in Street Mod. Even at the last event where I was on 205 all-seasons (due to laziness...lol), you'll have to admit that my times were quite competitive (still took 2nd in Street Mod).

(3) Suspension

The third most important factor in autocross. A good set of coilovers (or good quality strut/spring combo) will work wonders on any car. A proper alignment will help a ton as well. Given the varied surfaces in autocross lots, stiffer is NOT always better. My DMS Golds are only set to 15/15 (from full stiff where 30/30 is full soft) and my car still skips on many lots due to being set too stiff for the surface.

I propose that we should trade off cars for a few practice runs during the 24-hour autocross coming up. You can learn a lot about your car just from having someone else drive it and give you feedback (plus I know I'd love to have some feedback as to what you think about my car setup).

I propose that we should trade off cars for a few practice runs during the 24-hour autocross coming up. You can learn a lot about your car just from having someone else drive it and give you feedback (plus I know I'd love to have some feedback as to what you think about my car setup).

DEAL. I dont think Steven will give me proper input anyhow. ;)

EDIT: Going back to the tires thing...i am leaning towards the 15X7~8 range...but still open to anything 15".

Driver....this i know. Im getting better you have to admit. Driving schools to come when i figure ive maxed out my self learning mode...which i imagine will come next year sometime. right now im just trying to get seat time with R's.