Ultimate Subaru Message Board

79 Brat speedometer

roger1

probably the easiest thing to do is swap the gauge cluster out. If the speedo doesn't work and the odometer does, you most likely broke something inside the box on the back of the cluster that the speedo cable goes into. If you want to be adventerous, pull it apart and if you need any parts, lemme know. Oh and BTW, is it the GL cluster or the DL? The GL has the tach in it:D

probably the easiest thing to do is swap the gauge cluster out. If the speedo doesn't work and the odometer does, you most likely broke something inside the box on the back of the cluster that the speedo cable goes into. If you want to be adventerous, pull it apart and if you need any parts, lemme know. Oh and BTW, is it the GL cluster or the DL? The GL has the tach in i

t:D

It doesn't have a Tach! I'll see how my time goes on pulling it out. The heater was by-passed and I need one that doesn't leak! Any help?

thanks

its pretty easy. Just take the 4 screws out for the trim ring, then pull the 4 screws out for the cluster, then disconnect the two electrical connectors and the speedo cable and voila!

the best thing to do on the heater core is probably go and get one from a parts store if they carry it. If not, find a Subaru dealership and order one if they still have them in stock. My experience with used ones can be either rewarding or a giant headache so you can choose to pay for a new one, put it in and not worry about it, or get a used one, put it in and have a problem with it in 5k miles:D