Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 legacy loses power, shakes & stalls

A few months ago my 93 Legacy with 140,000 miles on the odometer started losing power on hills or when traveling at speeds over 55 mph. The first time it happened, there were 4 adults in the car and we were going up a steep hill. The second time I was in a rush and really "pushing it".

Now when I am going up a low grade and accelerating it happens.

First I notice it losing power. When I give it more gas-I notice the tach shows the rpms falling rapidly. Sometimes I can make it recover by putting it in neutral and giving it gas and then putting it back in gear. Most of the time, it loses power, starts shaking, the dash lights come on, and I pull over and turn the car off. The I start it right up again and continue on without any problem.

I had it in to the Subaru dealer for diagnostics and they gave me a list of several items or combinations of items to start repairing and replacing. The costs to repair were more than the car is worth. (CV Joints, Fuel Pump, Oil Pump, Head Gasket, New Distributor and ignition wires, Cat Converter, Torque converter) replace fuel injector and something else with the carburetor. They said that they wouldn't be able to tell if the part was bad until they replaced it.

I have had the oil and filters changed, a tune-up, and added Techron fuel additive and oil additives to no avail.

Any suggestions?