Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 GL wagon Heater Fan Problems?

jwikan

My fan just went out in my 87 subaru GL wagon. I have a feeling its not the motor itself as it was shutting on and off before like a loose connection. I would give the dash a good wack and she would fire back up. Questions:

1.) How do I get the instrument panel off to get to the switch?

2.) Where are the contacts to test power right at the blower fan itself? (Are they easily accessable?)

3.) Am I correct in assuming its the switch because all speeds quit working?

4.) If it is the fan (blower) which side is it on for this model of car. My manual is a bit confusing it lists Loyal but no GL wagon on this issue.:)

please e-mail me if you know, thanks jon

jonwikan@earthlink.net

welcome to the board

don't know all that much about the heating/ac systems... but if the GL is the same as the Loyale (and i think it is) then the blower and relays and all that stuff should be passenger side, kinda under the glove box. as far as the controls and switches go, you need to pry off the fan speed selector knob and the defrost button (both right hand side of instrument panel) in order to get to the screws you need to get to the switches.

Hey guys, FYI...I took the inst. panel off. There are 8 skrews, many more than my manual says and some a bit tricky to find. Then I realized that I was getting 12+ volts to the fan moter under the glove box..... 3 skrew/bolts takes the fan out on the 87 GL wagon. I took apart the moter (2 skrews) and it was full of condesation mold dirt....yuk.....I cleaned her up with wd-40 and a wire brush and it runs perfectly!!!icon7.gif