Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Blow off Valve

Nope. No factory BOV. truth be told, a BOV is not really necessary at stock boost. There is a mechanism called a dash pot that stops the throttle plate from slamming shut, giving the compressed air somewhere to go for that split second between shifts. If running higher boost then stock, a recirculating type valve will be healthier for your motor than an atmospheric BOV. Venting to the atmosphere can confuse your computer and cause backfiring throught the throttle body.

Nope. No factory BOV. truth be told, a BOV is not really necessary at stock boost. There is a mechanism called a dash pot that stops the throttle plate from slamming shut, giving the compressed air somewhere to go for that split second between shifts. If running higher boost then stock, a recirculating type valve will be healthier for your motor than an atmospheric BOV. Venting to the atmosphere can confuse your computer and cause backfiring throught the throttle body.
Tanks for that. I had the air box off one day and to the car for strap and every time i change gear i herd what i that might have been a blow off valve. Some one told me that they vented back into the intake. so i thought that was what it was. What psi can you run on a stock car.It has got a sports exhuast on it and look at geeting a pod.Tahnks again calebz.

what you heard was your wastegate opening. the factory turbos all had internal wastegates. its a diaphragm that pushes a rod that opens a little vent in the turbine side of the turbo.
Thanks for that. As you can tell i am new to turbo game know a little and whant to learn more, about the ea82 turbo motor mostly. So any info is helpful. How do you get a picture on the website.

ehhhhh

wrong answer that sound you heard with out the airbox or if you had a open element filter on in the box's place

was in fact backpressure if you have like say mine for instance

if you run 10 psi close the throttle quickly <gear change ect> then thats 10 psi of air with no where to go on a stock setup that is

so it will go back the way it came in thru the turbo slowing it down then back out the air filter

a blow off valve gives it someplace to vent

normally you will never hear the wastegate open

i say normally

as i do in fact have a tubo dodge caravan with a loud wastegate almost sounds like a sick cow moooooo ing

well i can hear my wastegate opening :-p it sounds like a tiny toilet is flushing under the hood. doesnt matter how much boost im pushin, as long as im boostin. cant really hear it in 4th or 5th because the tires are too loud.

hmm it might be .. do you hear it at gear changes?

oh wait

do you have like a cone filter on ? if so .. then yea heh it will sound like a toilet almost on boost mine just makes a large sucking noise

not as pronouced say if your driving a old chevy wih a 4 barrel carb but enough to know things are happening :)

yeah, i rigged a big fat 6" K&N cone in there. i dont really know what it sounded like before that. when i first got the buggy, it had 3 exhaust leaks, one at the header, so hardly any boost, and had a bad spark plug. that cone was the first mod i did.

• 2 weeks later...
ehhhhh

wrong answer that sound you heard with out the airbox or if you had a open element filter on in the box's place

was in fact backpressure if you have like say mine for instance

if you run 10 psi close the throttle quickly <gear change ect> then thats 10 psi of air with no where to go on a stock setup that is

so it will go back the way it came in thru the turbo slowing it down then back out the air filter

a blow off valve gives it someplace to vent

normally you will never hear the wastegate open

i say normally

as i do in fact have a tubo dodge caravan with a loud wastegate almost sounds like a sick cow moooooo ing

Yere thanks for that. Thinking of geeting a blow off valve And a pod filter. Dose any one know what the stock boost is on australia ea82 turbo motor and what you could run on a standed motor