Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anti-seize on bleeder screws?

I bled my brakes last week and replaced the fluid but got thinking that maybe I should have put some anti seize or something on the screws so that the next time I get around to bleeding them, it won't be stuck. Would anti-seize be bad for the brake fluid? Any other things that might work better? I'm huge on applying anti-seize to all the bolts and nuts so that they don't rust shut. Have had too many bad experieces with rusted bolts, rusted rotors etc.

I bled my brakes last week and replaced the fluid but got thinking that maybe I should have put some anti seize or something on the screws so that the next time I get around to bleeding them, it won't be stuck. .

I've done it in the past. I think you'd want to be carefull about getting the stuff mixed in with the brake fluid though.

I tend to slather anti-sieze on just about everthing too.

What would be the right torque on the bleeder screws? I figured if I just put it the way like obw99 described and bleed them right away, any contamination would be removed. My history with callipers that have the bleeder screws stuck is that it will break in the hole and I would have a calliper that I would have to try and drill out the remnants or replace. I just want to do preventive maintenance.

I use copper grease almost everwhere too!

However, not on bleeder screws. If they are stuck, replace them with new ones. These will have some sealant on the threads. The best way to keep them sticking is to torque them right - ie. not too much!

Well, look at the size of the nut. They have gone from 10mm to 8mm. Look at the size of an 8mm wrench. No more torque than a tight hand can generate. Don't lean on it with your arm or body weight.

I think we're looking down around 10Nm, but I can't get my torque wrench on thebleeders!