Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Light switch 1984 GL

Help me!! I am new to USMB and I love my 1984 4 door Subaru GL wagon and its great! But lately my light switch (for headlights, running lights, etc) spins around and doesnt really work. And as of yesterday my lights wont stay on at all.

What is this item called? and Is it easy to replace?

That happened to me a long time ago (switch not working and spinning around). I can't remember for sure, but it seems like what happened is that there is a little ball bearing - spring loaded detent mechanism in there. Things had loosened up to where the little ball had slipped out of the detent. All I had to do was take it apart, get everything back in place, re-install, and tighten it up again. I drove it for a long time after that without any problem.

Don't ask for details because it was a long time ago. I do remember that I had to do it in the dark with a flashlight in my bud's driveway in order to get the lights working so I could drive home. I also remember that it took me a while.

That happened to me a long time ago (switch not working and spinning around). I can't remember for sure, but it seems like what happened is that there is a little ball bearing - spring loaded detent mechanism in there. Things had loosened up to where the little ball had slipped out of the detent. All I had to do was take it apart, get everything back in place, re-install, and tighten it up again. I drove it for a long time after that without any problem.

Ok, when I get home (I bus to work, the subaru is my Ski-ing snowboarding lifeline!) I will try opening it all up.