Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stumped pulling codes

1987 GL 4WD, D/R with SPFI. I can't find what's supposed to plug into what to pull codes.

Under the steering wheel I have found 4 loose connectors-- a blue connector with one terminal, a brown one with 2 terminals, a green one with 4 terminals and an orange one with 4 terminals, but none appear to fit into any of the others.

It seems that with all the info I've gotten from this site and elsewhere I'm still missing something basic--unless the person who worked on this car previously did not disconnect other plugs after trying to pull codes!

You may have the required green and black connectors under the hood, near the left strut tower. For normal operation, these 4 connectors are NOT connected together. The green and the black connectors are connected together (act like switches) to put the ECU into 4 different modes, depending on which ones are connected.

I can't advise you further -- my XT/XT6 shop manual, which contains this information (applicable to all EA82 engines), is on loan.

OK, thanks. From the info I had, the code connectors were supposed to be under the steering wheel, not under the hood.

Just looked under the hood. By the driver's side strut tower I found one white circular loose connector, a black one and a brown one, but again, none fit together.

Hmmm,.... That's weird. The reason I suggested the engine compartment is because some people have reported finding them there.

I would have expected these connectors to be under the dash, near the ECU. They may be tucked up out of the way. They may also be closer to the wheel well (near the fuse block) that you'd expect.

Look under the dash again. I'm sure they're in there somewhere. You're looking for a pair of 1-wire green connectors and a similar pair of 1-wire black connectors. They just come out of the cable harness and dangle, with maybe 2" of slack wire before the connector.

Good luck!

Well I'll try again under the dash, though there's nothing else just dangling there. A bunch of wires are coiled up under there that I didn't want to untangle for fear I would disconnect something else and maybe the connectors are hidden in them.

thanks again.

Ray McD.