Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Juz call me STUBBY!

Greetings fellow soobers

I crawled under the soob lastnight for a look around, and found fluid leaking from around the stub axle seal on the trans. Leaks are common from what I've read here so I'm not alarmd, what I am nervous about is the amount of play the stub axle/doj (?)(sp) have at the trans. housing. Is a good amount of wiggle normal? There's enough wiggle to hear it. and I've noticed a metallic clackety sound under hard launch, such starting on a uphill grade. The sound sounds as though it's coming from a blown cv/doj (?)(Sp) but I've replaced one side and the other side looks wonderful.

One more question. I also have what seems to be a blown wheel bearing front drivers side. I'm noticing a vibration as well as a scraping sound while driving and turning. What happens if I let this go for a while? The wheel has a fair amount of play in it. Should this be a priority? Thanks for your help.

My RX with 276,000 miles has lots of play in the output bearings front and rear, thats why the seals leak a bit, but it still drives just fine.

The risk of running with the bad wheel bearing is that at some point there will be enough resistance in the bearing to spin the inner or outer race (if it hasn't all ready), the outer is most common and when it spins it destroys the hub (new bearing won't fit tight). Better to change it sooner rather than later.

Gary