Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got some heat... not enough?! Still stalls.

I think there was a bit of overheating paranoia going on with this car. I'm still not getting proper heat into the cabin.

What we found:

The thermostat was a 180 and we changed it out to a 192 as is recommended.

Once it was changed out, we learned that the temperature gauge is actually working, but even after changing the thermostat, it only climbs about half-way up to the first mark of the normal range.

100% coolant in the system.

Clogged heater core, flushed the heater core and it seems like everything is running properly. The water just isn't very warm when it gets to the core.

I remember with my old Brat having to run the heater on low speed because it would actually take too much air in and it ran warmer with less velocity. This is different... it may be enough heat to keep the windshield clear, but won't keep the interior even tolerable.

Problem 2

Checked all the grounds and vacuum hoses. It's still stalling. When it starts, and just sitting, it will run for 1/2 hour or more stong and steady, or sometimes only 4 or 5 minutes and then it sputters and dies, even when it's up to temperature.

It's a new rebuilt alternator, but I did notice a significant drop in engine rpm's when I switched on the heater and another slight drop when I switched on the lights, there was no stall, but when it does decide to stall, it stalls even without any accessories on.

While driving, it runs strong and steady... it stalls when I drop into neutral at stops or when I clutch... I have a bad habit of power shifting, so it doesn't usually get time to stall, but it's trying to.

Now, the smelly exhaust is pretty much gone, no smoke other than the little wispy white stuff that comes with a pretty cold day. The backfiring is gone too. Could the new alternator be bad? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Mary

Mary

Does your carb happen to have an anti diesel solenoid?

Long hexagon device with one wire out it's tail,

sticking out the front of the carb.

Sure sounds like the symptoms of the solenoid loosing

power or for some reason going intermittent.

Mary

Does your carb happen to have an anti diesel solenoid?

Long hexagon device with one wire out it's tail,

sticking out the front of the carb.

Sure sounds like the symptoms of the solenoid loosing

power or for some reason going intermittent.

Hi Skip,

Yes, it does have the device on the front... what can I do to fix it? I wanna drive without doing the heel to toe sideways slide... I'm no ballerina! LOL! Mary

I have the same problem with my heater also. I flushed the entire system out with a hose, put in a new water pump, thermostate, radiator and cap. It heats up fine on the guage but the air is lukewarm on the heater. I parked on a hill and add water to top it off and everything. I'm down to a real stubburn air pocket in the heater core. Cant think of anything else.

And its cold here.

Yeah... Mass. isn't too warm right now... and it'll get waaay colder! I was hoping to drive it til it snows. They salt, so the "baby" won't see that... I'll let the Hyundai eat it... I hate that car... it's less than 6 months old... no problems and runs perfect... leather, fully loaded. I just don't like it. At all.