Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is my exhaust manifold at heat riser supposed to have leak? (86 Brat)

I just bought an 86 Brat and have noticed that there is a very small leak inside the exhaust manifold where the heatriser attaches to it. It is hardly noticable when running, I actually thoght it was a small gasket leak at first. But I found it when I was replacing the riser tube, there was a small amount of soot inside the pipe and I could feel a small pulse when I covered the open end with my hand.

This is my first Soob, so I'm not sure about this, but I know some 80's cars did infact scavenge some exhaust gas back into the intake as part of the emissions system. Or do I just have a cracked weld ?

BTW it has Cali smog. and passed my emissions test here (N.M.) so well they gave me a 2 year registration, which is rare!

There shouldn't be an exhaust gas leak there. It is either some variety of crack or bad gasket. Exhaust recirculation is done using a dedicated, sealed pipe to the intake manifold.

Where is that one located at?

And it you say it goes to the manifold itself, NOT the air cleaner housing?

The only line I can find is the 1-9/16th heat riser it self coming from the right side exhaust collector, then going up to the air cleaner housing. That is where the leak is, at the collector. From what your saying it sounds as if I need to pull the collector and do some welding.

Rats!

I do not know if your year/model used Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR); probably not. It would be a large pipe (1" diam approx.) with a large screw-in fitting into the manifold pipe. Your car may have something similar looking right at the exhaust port, but it is probably the for "air injection" (really uses exhaust suction, but same idea).

If the welding doesn't work, might be able to find a used y-pipe from a board member or at a junk yard.

Good Luck!

Pat