Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Head Gasket Job...need advice ASAP

perhaps buying a 97-99 2.5 outback with a blown head gasket to tear down and try various head gaskets on. Perhaps compare the latest from the aftermarket to the latest from Subaru. I have even tossed up studs and solid copper gaskets like I used to make for Norton bikes.

I would think a blown up one could be bought for around $3,000 and it could always be sold to recouver the money after the experiment. We would need to drive it maybe 5,000 miles to feel confident enought to sell it.

Might lose a few bucks on the deal if we compare several gaskets, but then if we broke even or made a small profit and learned something that would be fine by me.

You can buy a pretty good car all running for about $7,000 or less but I would not want to tear down a good one.

Well gnu, off on the holiday trip. I'm off duty and have the Forester serviced and set to head for Lake County. Have a good one and look for an Outback. You will probably have to do the test driving as I have two cars already and drive the BMW most every day with the Subie for hauling stuff.

I have the money and you have the energy. We can work this out and have a bit of fun with it.

Well gnu, off on the holiday trip. I'm off duty and have the Forester serviced and set to head for Lake County. Have a good one and look for an Outback. You will probably have to do the test driving as I have two cars already and drive the BMW most every day with the Subie for hauling stuff.

I have the money and you have the energy. We can work this out and have a bit of fun with it.

Sounds like the start of a great working relationship!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I'm a first time user, I've got a '98 outback wagon with 148,000 miles, and the headgasket blew the other night. Radiator shot too. My mechanic estimates close to 3 grand to get everything fixed, so I've already purchased an '05 Camry (a toaster on wheels, but there you go). I've got my subbie in the garage. Love this car, and just can't part with it. what to do? I own it free and clear, so it's not costing me anything other than space in the garage. Help!

Gary, Tampa

The HG job can be done with the engine in the car. Mine blew externally at 120k, 2.5L. It can be done! Now the car runs better than when we got it with 53k on it. With the updated HG, new water pump, and timing belt I hope to get at least another 100k out of my car!