Ultimate Subaru Message Board

a/c just comes on by it's self...?

Guest megell

Guest megell

My 90 Loyale's a/c justs comes on by it's self, even if I am in the bi-level vent mode or the heat (floor) mode, even when I don't have the a/c on. I can't seem to get it to turn off. Then later sometimes, it will turn back over to the vent/fan, and then back to a/c again.

Last winter, when the heater was on the floor or defrost mode, it would just change to the bi-level mode by it's self. It's a little annoying when you are trying to defrost the windshield.

I think the two are related, but I don't know where to start looking for the problem.

Any help on this one is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Megell

Guest canajun2eh

On some cars, the A/C is supposed to come on when the temperature control is to the left and you use the defogger.

The idea is that the A/C will dry the air being directed towards the windshield.

This happens in my 95 Legacy, and it also happened in the Peugeot we leased during our last Europe trip.

Guest megell

I'm aware of the defogger position. But, I'm mean the a/c comes on when its not in the a/c mode. It blows (ice? cold) air when I just want the bi-level to blow outside air. It's also a little dangerous when attempting a pass or trying to accelerate and the a/c comes on and all of a sudden, less HP.

I am puzzeled

Megell

Guest tomrhere

Read this post this AM, and gave it a bit of thought today while at work. 'Bout the only thing I can figure is that someone had the dash/controls apart, and didn't get them put back right on re-assembly. AC shouldn't run unless it's in that mode, or on Defrost. Runs (cycles) on Defrost to keep the oils in suspention during the off season, this keeps the seals from drying out........Tom

Guest megell

Thanks Tom,

No one has been into the dash since I've owned it, (2 yrs) and the a/c etc; has always worked fine, then last winter, the bilevel comes on when I need defrost, sometime later it goes back to defrost and then back to bilevel without warning.

However, I did take the dash apart yesterday. I pushed the off button and the whole switch assy just pushed back into the dash and nothing would work.

I removed the off button and the mounting screw came loose and backed out resulting in not being able to push the off button in, and of course the top screw/bracket broke as well.

I fixed it by installed an oversized screw on the bottom used a "spacer of sort" to hold the top of the assy. Now everythings works nicely, except if I have the switches in any position but off, the a/c will just come on by it's self after a while.

I remain puzzled, but at least I can push the off button in now.

Megell

first I would check the white canister on the shelf behind the pass side strut tower. This is the vac resv. Make sure lines in and out are not compromised by cracks. There is also a check valve employed. It could be loosing vacuum and causing the control pane to move to a default position - may be defrost and there fore the ac will come on. Vacuum builds and it moves to the selected position.

Next the ac is triggered by a microswitch which is located above and toward the center of the car from the gas pedal. (Under a small cover has to blue wires running to it. When ac is called for a lever closes this switch. Might disconnect this (follow wires to the plug) this will prove it is a mechanical not electrical problem.

I have disconnected the micro switch and connected it to a rocker switch on the dash. It is

mounted in the blank beside the fan speed knob.

email me if further assiatane is desired.

Hope this helps