Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Runs and dies 93 Loyale

My 93 Loyale has several problems-but the killer is- it starts and then dies! If I pour straight gas down the throat of the carb, it will stay running until my small supply of gas is used up! I have fuel pressure getting to the Injector because when I went to remove the clamp, fuel started easing out and as I pulled the line back further, it started to stream out! I disconnected the 4 pin connector at the injector body and attempted to take voltage measurements- 2 pins had approx 6 volts dc. Not knowing what specifically to do with the information or where to go from here, I decided to put everything back together and go inside and think about it! But before I closed the hood, I tried to start it one last time- the thing started and stayed running! It was very rough- and thats when I realized I had never tuned it up since we bought it new-it has 155,000 on it.

Well, I tuned it, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter (it was plugged pretty good)!

Now I am back to my original problem! It starts and then dies! I am looking for any help you can offer- I have access to one of those computer analyzers- but I cant find the mating connector on where to plug it in to! The dealer says its under the dash- drivers side- but we are not finding it.

You didn't mention that you replaced the fuel filter? Did you? If not, you should. You could try disconnecting the battery for about a hour, then hooking it back up.(This will caused the computer to relearn the car.The computer might be used to no air, or something) I've done that (after a tune up, on a toyota)and it started up.

Good Luck

[HTi]Johnson

No, I haven't mentioned the fuel filter; I haven't replaced it and didn't think that it could be causing the problem because of how the engine started to run almost flawlessly after I did a voltage check with an analog voltmeter on all 4 pins at the harness connecting to the fuel injector. I will consider replacing the fuel filter when stores reopen tomorrow.

I must admit that I have never heard of disconnecting the battery for an hour to allow the computer to relearn the car-I'll go try that right now; and then I'll ponder some more the ramifications of performing voltage checks :could this in some way have discharged a capacitance or reactance charge buildup and allow things to operate normally?

Would you know where the connector is locatred on the car for plugging in the computer for running diagnostics checks for an "On engine light"

Miles Fox...Thanks- I had no idea that such an animal even existed! Could I get a little more help on its location-though? I know where the carb and the duct work that runs over to the passenger side of the car and the air filter are located- is it on this duct work somewhere? Is it a vacuum or electrical device? I'll check it out when the sun comes up out here in Tacoma, WA.

Thanks again- Sub.

under the hood there are a pair of green connectors and black connecotors. you plug the green connectors in to read the codes, and the black connectors to clear them

drop the plastick kickpanel from the dash and you will see the led on the front of the ecu. you only need to drop the panel down a few inches to see

in the usmb repair manual there is a writeup for reading codes

under the hood on the driver side firewall there are a pair of green connectors and black connecotors. you plug the green connectors in to read the codes, and the black connectors to clear them

drop the plastick kickpanel from the dash and you will see the led on the front of the ecu. you only need to drop the panel down a few inches to see

in the usmb repair manual there is a writeup for reading codes