Ultimate Subaru Message Board

justy the facts

Wull, Hullo to you folks. I don't have a subaru YET, but hope to change that soon. I have been to a few SCCA trials here in Pennsylvania....Subarus rule the day. Now that I've been looking for them they're all over the place! I live near the Pa. / Delaware /N.J. border. My goal is to find a good on-the-beach (north Carolina) fun-mobile. Because of many past experiences with Jeeps, Suburbans and other 4 wheel drive vehicles I think the car I would like is a JUSTY that would skip along the top-sand and not sink in to the deeper sand. I've ridden atv's on the beach and find that lightness helps! Does a 2door 5speed make sense? If so what year model should I pursue? I'd like to have low range too, but don't know if that exists! THANKS !!!!!!!!

Don't go with a Justy. If you want low range look for a 80 through 89 gl or dl. I have a 91 Loyale with a single range t-case and seems to do ok in the sand, though i wish i had low range. When you do find a subaru, find the widest tires you can if your going to play in the sand and air down so you don't sink. Good luck

My two cents...

I had a Justy 4WD 5-speed when I lived on the Oregon coast. One day I took it out onto the beach and deliberately stopped it in deep dry sand. Didn't air down the tires either. When I wanted to go, I just stepped on the gas and it went. I was in 4WD and had new but skinny snow tires on it at the time.

If you find a good Justy, make sure you get a 5-speed, not the auto. They are troublesome and hard/expensive to repair.