Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does anyone know of a shop in Houston who can change the clutch in my Y2KOBW?

I had several things done today by the dealer, most covered by extended warranty. I also got the coolant conditioner put in. 2 CV boots, steering rack boot, crank+ cam seal, tie rod end+alignment, A/C and water pump belts. I also paid to have them change out the timing belt+ check out everything on the car.

By the way, the extended warranty was NOT worth it.

But to change the clutch, they wanted $900 plus change. GAK!

Legacy777, I believe you're here in Houston. Do you do this kind of work, or know who does? I'm in NW city near 610+290.

Thanks, Bradford

Guest lothar34

I haven't found any independent Subaru mechanics in Houston. I think CarTalk's website has reader reviews of local shops. You might want to check there if you can't find anything else.

The only place I have had experience with, and continue to go back to for stuff I can't do is Autocheck on kirkwood & westheimer. I really don't go there for much, but friends of mine have been going there for a long time. When I had issues with my cooling system, Mike the asist manager let me borrow his pressure tester, and helped me out in a couple other situations.

I'm not sure how mechanically inclined you are, or if you're even interested in getting your hands dirty, but depending on when you want to do this, I could probably give you a hand in changing the clutch.

I'm around the galleria area.

• 4 months later...

One place that I have used, and will use again, is a place on Beverly Hill and Dunvale close to Richmond called RPM automotive. Guy at the desk is Steve. Seem to be more familiar with Subarus than most. He was recommended by the Volvo only repair shop on Richmond where my wife has had her Volvos (plural) worked on for some 15 years now. I definitely trust the Volvo guys and their advice has been very good so far. I've had brakes and CV boots replaced, Wheel work and overall maintainance stuff. They also replaced wheels on the Volvo when the other place was on vacation. Found used wheels and didn't charge for alignment.

They are closed weekends which is a drag, and don't provide loaners.

I've been using Gillman for major things and they are expensive and have seen good and bad managers over the years but, overall, for repairs where I prefer the original parts, I would use them again.

• 5 years later...