Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine transfer compatibility

Question:

I have an 88 GL WGN w/ 1.8 SPFI Non-turbo and the engine I believe is beyond repair. The heads are toast and the crank may be in sad shape as well (metal shavings in the bottom of the oil pan).

I have a friend with an ‘85 suby Rx two door where the body is trashed but the engine, MPFI non-turbo, is good. My question is can I transfer that engine over to my WGN GL without too much of a head ache? What all needs to come over?

Both are manual trannys. Do the bell housings match?

I assume the computer, wire harness, maybe the instrument panel need to come over. Are the fuel pumps the same? Lay it out for me guys, I need your expertise!

-Mikey

Are you sure about the non-turbo part? All RX's came from the factory turboed. That really doesn't make much difference as far as the swap is concerned though. The engine will bolt right up. I think the clutch is the same but I'm not positive. You may want to consider taking the drivetrain from the RX as well, since it's fulltime 4wd with a limited slip rear end. A notch has to be cut in the crossmember to allow the turbo exhaust to fit. You will also have to swap the engine computer and control harness, which really isn't that much of a pain to do. I have not personally done this swap, but I did put an SPFI system into a carbed car, and it was very easy with the factory service manual in hand.

Question:

I have a friend with an ‘85 suby Rx two door where the body is trashed but the engine, MPFI non-turbo, is good. My question is can I transfer that engine over to my WGN GL without too much of a head ache? What all needs to come over?

Mikey

You had better double check the year of this RX as Subaru didn't make a 1985 2dr RX. Gary

I'll double check, my friend thinks it is an 85 but is not sure. He picked up as scrap and I only looked at it once under the hood; a wedged shaped car. I'll give a closer look tomorrow. If it is a turbo will my current exhaust work with it?

Mike

P.S. I think I found a picture of it on google, the donor car is an XT, which there is a non-turbo model.

You had better double check the year of this RX as Subaru didn't make a 1985 2dr RX. Gary

I'm not sure if it is an RX, just wedge shaped. I'm going to give it a closer look tomorrow. I just saw that it was mpfi, didn't notice a turbo, I was more concerned about the engine mounts. I'll have more info later.

Thanks

P.S. I think I found a picture of it on google, the donor car is an XT, which there is a non-turbo model.

Mike

Are you sure about the non-turbo part? All RX's came from the factory turboed. That really doesn't make much difference as far as the swap is concerned though. The engine will bolt right up. I think the clutch is the same but I'm not positive. You may want to consider taking the drivetrain from the RX as well, since it's fulltime 4wd with a limited slip rear end. A notch has to be cut in the crossmember to allow the turbo exhaust to fit. You will also have to swap the engine computer and control harness, which really isn't that much of a pain to do. I have not personally done this swap, but I did put an SPFI system into a carbed car, and it was very easy with the factory service manual in hand.

Yeah, the wedge-shaped car is the XT.

In that case, the swap should be easier since you don't have to clearance the X-member for the exhaust. If you know anything about electrical, this would be an easy swap with good gains in performance, economy, and just about everything else.