Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Upsizing the oil filter possible?

Hello all!

Back when I owned my Buick Grand National, one trick that we Turbo Buick guys used to do was to use a physically larger oil filter on the car than the one that the parts book called for. I believe the filter we used was the one intended for the GM 4.3L v6 truck motor, and while it was the same diameter and thread pitch as the stock one, it was a good couple inches longer. The extra length meant it had a much larger filtration element to it, and it also very easily added nearly an extra half-quart of oil into the system. Both very good things, and the bigger filter didn't cost much more at all.

Seeing the wisdom in this cheap oil system upgrade, I've done the same thing on my wife's Malibu for the same reasons, and I'll probably do it on every car I own from now on. Considering that there is no real physical length restriction on the filter on my 1.8L, I was wondering if anyone had tried this on their older Subie. If so, do you have the part numbers of the bigger one to use?

Sorry if this is a noob question, but I'm learning here. Thanks in advance for the info.

- Freed

I have indeed tried this. My wife used to have a 2000 Dodge Stratus(2.4L DOHC). After she got rid of it, I had an extra oil filter laying around so I decided to see how it stacked up to the filter on my Sube. It is about 1 inch longer than the stocker on the Sube and it threaded right onto the EA82T. So I tightened it down and called it good.

Patrick